From: Martin Murray on
OK, I did a clean install of Windows XP on my Fujitsu N6010. I installed
all the device drivers from Fujitsu and have done every Windows Update.
None of the devices appear to have complaints.

There is a USB mouse attached to the laptop, but both the mouse and the
internal touchpad are enabled and working.

Periodically, and I think this only occurs after the system has been on a
while (and maybe only after the screen blanks after inactivity), things
begin to go wrong.

Graphics begin to get flaky sometimes, the LAN stops working sometimes, or
maybe the Start button brings up a garbled list of options, but there is a
problem. When I press control-alt-delete to bring up TaskManager, I get an
error. If I try to Shutdown from the Start Menu, I am told I don't have
permission to shut it down. But I can press control-alt-delete and to
Shutdown from that menu and then I get a Program Not Responding window
referencing "ApUsbPnP". So, I'm guessing that is at the core of the
problem. I have no idea what the heck that is!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Martin Murray

From: Elmo on
Martin Murray wrote:
> OK, I did a clean install of Windows XP on my Fujitsu N6010. I installed
> all the device drivers from Fujitsu and have done every Windows Update.
> None of the devices appear to have complaints.
>
> There is a USB mouse attached to the laptop, but both the mouse and the
> internal touchpad are enabled and working.
>
> Periodically, and I think this only occurs after the system has been on a
> while (and maybe only after the screen blanks after inactivity), things
> begin to go wrong.
>
> Graphics begin to get flaky sometimes, the LAN stops working sometimes, or
> maybe the Start button brings up a garbled list of options, but there is a
> problem. When I press control-alt-delete to bring up TaskManager, I get an
> error. If I try to Shutdown from the Start Menu, I am told I don't have
> permission to shut it down. But I can press control-alt-delete and to
> Shutdown from that menu and then I get a Program Not Responding window
> referencing "ApUsbPnP". So, I'm guessing that is at the core of the
> problem. I have no idea what the heck that is!
>
> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Martin Murray

The few articles I found on "ApUsbPnP" suggest you have a trojan horse.

In general, any device that stops working after hibernation might need this:

Open Device Manager, open the properties on the device, or each of your
USB ports, click the Power tab, and deselect "Allow the computer to turn
off this device to save power".

--
Joe =o)
From: Martin Murray on
AdAware 2007 did not find anything suspicious in the system and I have been
VERY careful besides. I don't tthink it is a trojan horse.

From: Elmo on
Martin Murray wrote:
> AdAware 2007 did not find anything suspicious in the system and I have been
> VERY careful besides. I don't tthink it is a trojan horse.
>
> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message
>> Martin Murray wrote:
>>> OK, I did a clean install of Windows XP on my Fujitsu N6010. I installed
>>> all the device drivers from Fujitsu and have done every Windows Update.
>>> None of the devices appear to have complaints.
>>>
>>> There is a USB mouse attached to the laptop, but both the mouse and the
>>> internal touchpad are enabled and working.
>>>
>>> Periodically, and I think this only occurs after the system has been on a
>>> while (and maybe only after the screen blanks after inactivity), things
>>> begin to go wrong.
>>>
>>> Graphics begin to get flaky sometimes, the LAN stops working sometimes,
>>> or maybe the Start button brings up a garbled list of options, but there
>>> is a problem. When I press control-alt-delete to bring up TaskManager, I
>>> get an error. If I try to Shutdown from the Start Menu, I am told I
>>> don't have permission to shut it down. But I can press
>>> control-alt-delete and to Shutdown from that menu and then I get a
>>> Program Not Responding window referencing "ApUsbPnP". So, I'm guessing
>>> that is at the core of the problem. I have no idea what the heck that
>>> is!
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Martin Murray
>> The few articles I found on "ApUsbPnP" suggest you have a trojan horse.
>>
>> In general, any device that stops working after hibernation might need
>> this:
>>
>> Open Device Manager, open the properties on the device, or each of your
>> USB ports, click the Power tab, and deselect "Allow the computer to turn
>> off this device to save power".

OK.. But I also suggested a fix for loss of some device usage after
hibernation.

Oh, and there's this.. Adaware won't catch everything. Nor will
Spybot, or any other software. A Trojan horse, in particular, is seldom
caught by anti-spyware software; it's usually caught by antivirus
software. But it's just as usual that, if you are infested, the
infestation disabled your av software, and runs a fictitious, or
incomplete scan so you think you're not infected. You might want to do
an online scan just as a precaution. I hate to keep harping on the
malware "solution" though.. here's the few posts I've found on that file:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=ApUsbPnp&qt_s=Search+Groups
http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&q=ApUsbPnp (52 posts, not the 120+
suggested. Most are in foreign languages.)

Serato Scratch (Just one of those threads.)
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/91094-what-apusbpnp-program.html

--
Joe =o)
From: Martin Murray on
Actually, it MAY be the problem with a device being shutdown to save power,
even though the laptop is on wall-juice. I have disabled that feature in
Device Manager as you recommended, and we'll have to wait to see.

I connected a USB hard drive at one point and the system did not see it
until I rebooted, indicating the post may have been asleep.

Where do I find an online malware scanner?