From: Elmo on
Martin Murray wrote:
> Actually, it MAY be the problem with a device being shutdown to save power,
> even though the laptop is on wall-juice. I have disabled that feature in
> Device Manager as you recommended, and we'll have to wait to see.
>
> I connected a USB hard drive at one point and the system did not see it
> until I rebooted, indicating the post may have been asleep.
>
> Where do I find an online malware scanner?
>
> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message
>> Martin Murray wrote:
>>> AdAware 2007 did not find anything suspicious in the system and I have
>>> been VERY careful besides. I don't tthink it is a trojan horse.
>>>
>>> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message

>> OK.. But I also suggested a fix for loss of some device usage after
>> hibernation.
>>
>> Oh, and there's this.. Adaware won't catch everything. Nor will Spybot,
>> or any other software. A Trojan horse, in particular, is seldom caught by
>> anti-spyware software; it's usually caught by antivirus software. But
>> it's just as usual that, if you are infested, the infestation disabled
>> your av software, and runs a fictitious, or incomplete scan so you think
>> you're not infected. You might want to do an online scan just as a
>> precaution. I hate to keep harping on the malware "solution" though..
>> here's the few posts I've found on that file:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=ApUsbPnp&qt_s=Search+Groups
>> http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&q=ApUsbPnp (52 posts, not the 120+
>> suggested. Most are in foreign languages.)
>>
>> Serato Scratch (Just one of those threads.)
>> http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/91094-what-apusbpnp-program.html
Try one of these free online virus scans:

This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the Complete
check.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Symantec
http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&langid=ie&venid=sym

<url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&langid=us&plfid=20&pkj=IHBEXIBVEMBQAUWZKTK>
then click the Security check link.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan

http://www.ewido.net/en/

--
Joe =o)
From: Martin Murray on
OK, it is not because the USB ports went to sleep and it is not malware as
far as I can detect. It is also not because the LAN went to sleep, 'cause I
turned that feature off also. Additionally, I reinstalled the ATI video
drivers.

The problem still occurs. What the heck is ApUsbPnp???

From: Elmo on
Martin Murray wrote:
> OK, it is not because the USB ports went to sleep and it is not malware as
> far as I can detect. It is also not because the LAN went to sleep, 'cause I
> turned that feature off also. Additionally, I reinstalled the ATI video
> drivers.
>
> The problem still occurs. What the heck is ApUsbPnp???
>
> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message
>> Martin Murray wrote:
>>> Actually, it MAY be the problem with a device being shutdown to save
>>> power, even though the laptop is on wall-juice. I have disabled that
>>> feature in Device Manager as you recommended, and we'll have to wait to
>>> see.
>>>
>>> I connected a USB hard drive at one point and the system did not see it
>>> until I rebooted, indicating the post may have been asleep.
>>>
>>> Where do I find an online malware scanner?
>>>
>>> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message

>> Try one of these free online virus scans:
>>
>> This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the Complete
>> check.
>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/
>>
>> Symantec
>> http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&langid=ie&venid=sym
>>
>> <url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&langid=us&plfid=20&pkj=IHBEXIBVEMBQAUWZKTK>
>> then click the Security check link.
>>
>> http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan
>>
>> http://www.ewido.net/en/

You might do a search for it on the hd. If found, right-click, click
Properties and see if it has any information on the author, etc. What
folder is it found in? That could be a clue..

--
Joe =o)
From: Elmo on
Martin Murray wrote:
> OK, it is not because the USB ports went to sleep and it is not malware as
> far as I can detect. It is also not because the LAN went to sleep, 'cause I
> turned that feature off also. Additionally, I reinstalled the ATI video
> drivers.
>
> The problem still occurs. What the heck is ApUsbPnp???
>
> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message
>> Martin Murray wrote:
>>> Actually, it MAY be the problem with a device being shutdown to save
>>> power, even though the laptop is on wall-juice. I have disabled that
>>> feature in Device Manager as you recommended, and we'll have to wait to
>>> see.
>>>
>>> I connected a USB hard drive at one point and the system did not see it
>>> until I rebooted, indicating the post may have been asleep.
>>>
>>> Where do I find an online malware scanner?
>>>
>>> "Elmo" <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid> wrote in message

>> Try one of these free online virus scans:
>>
>> This one has a choice of a Quick or a Complete check. Use the Complete
>> check.
>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/
>>
>> Symantec
>> http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=ssr&langid=ie&venid=sym
>>
>> <url:http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&venid=sym&langid=us&plfid=20&pkj=IHBEXIBVEMBQAUWZKTK>
>> then click the Security check link.
>>
>> http://housecall.antivirus.com/ free online virus scan
>>
>> http://www.ewido.net/en/

One other thought; it could be associated with a specific hardware
component, one that plugs into the USB port, possibly a router or modem.

--
Joe =o)
From: Martin Murray on
Nothing on the hard drive by that name and no running process by that name
right now either.