From: Jeff Lanam on
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:25:39 +0100, "R.Freitag" <rfr-mailbox(a)gmx.de>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I would like to know the differences between usual Cobol and Tandem Cobol.
>Thanks for any help
>
>Robert

I am not sure what you mean by "usual Cobol". HP NonStop COBOL
(formerly Tandem COBOL) conforms to the 1985 COBOL standard, with the
1989 Intrinsic Functions amendment. There are numerous extension.
Some are from the 2002 Standard, although none of the "big" ones such
as OO or exceptions. Off the top of my head, I can think of:
Free-format source, not identical to the 2002 free-format.
USAGE NATIVE-n, to define binary numbers in the same ranges as C.
The RECEIVE-CONTROL paragraph, for client-server communication.
The ability to create NonStop process pairs.
File ORGANIZATION IS LINE-SEQUENTIAL, for LF terminated text files.
Embedded SQL
Several relating to the file formats supported on NSK.

You can access the COBOL manual, or any HP NonStop manual, from the
NonStop Technical Library, http://h30163.www3.hp.com/ntl/ First,
select the release series you are interested in, then the specific
release, then Publications, then the letter C.