From: Joerg on
Hello Rich,

>>Paint, exposed metal, all that will rot over time. I have even seen
>>steel corrode although it was sold as stainless. In an application like
>>this ideally you need something that you can build and forget for a few
>>years.
>
> And your objection to making a yearly inspection of your facilities would
> be....? ;-)

This looks like a rig for personal use. Yearly inspections are ok but if
you find something amiss on every one of these it'll become a hassle.
It's always best to design something to last literally forever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: James F. Mayer on

"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello Rich,
>

>>>Paint, exposed metal, all that will rot over time. I have even seen steel
>>>corrode although it was sold as stainless. In an application like this
>>>ideally you need something that you can build and forget for a few years.
>>
>> And your objection to making a yearly inspection of your facilities would
>> be....? ;-)
>>

> This looks like a rig for personal use. Yearly inspections are ok but if
> you find something amiss on every one of these it'll become a hassle. It's
> always best to design something to last literally forever.

All of the suggestions are good but one of the problems is that all of
the drums are plastic, probably something I should have mentioned at the
beginning. I have around 25 drums in the system. and would like to monitor
each drum individually as well as a whole.

I came across these pressure sensors: the MPX2010 and its amplified
version the MPX5010 in my rummaging through DigiKey. Has anyone had any
experience with them? Do you think they would work in the harsh environment
of a backyard in West Central Florida?
What case styles would you suggest? Could I build them in a small
potting box and pot them to make them more weather resistant and what sort
of potting would I use?

From: Paul Hovnanian P.E. on
Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:22:54 GMT, "James F. Mayer"
> <jfma(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>

> >"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
> >message news:r50ma2dsib6tk887j2p8r5522bq279j411(a)4ax.com...

> >> That's the scenario I've been pondering. I'm trying to figure a way
> >> to measure (salt) aquarium level, for top off, that's reliable.
> >>
> >> I'm pondering a combination of washing-machine-style dip tube plus a
> >> (electro-mechanical) timer, to ensure that the tube clears before
> >> refill.
> >>
> >> Hopefully that would prevent false overfills due to air seepage from
> >> the dip tube.
> >>

> > Running some of the aerator air through the dip tube would solve that
> >problem, I'd think.
> >

> Jim, Please elaborate, I'm not seeing what aerator air would do for
> you. Thanks!
>
> ...Jim Thompson

John Larkin mentioned a bubbler earlier in this thread. All you'd have
to do is to tap into the aerator system and meter a small amount of air
into the dip tube. I'd think you'd want a small amount so that the
pressure variations caused by larger bubbles separating wouldn't cause
fluctuations in readings.

The pressure in the dip tube would equal the pressure of its depth and
bleeding a tiny amount of air in makes up for leakage and dissolving
air.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul(a)Hovnanian.com
Software Engineering is like looking for a black cat in a dark room.
From: Joerg on
Hello James,

>>>And your objection to making a yearly inspection of your facilities would
>>>be....? ;-)
>>
>>This looks like a rig for personal use. Yearly inspections are ok but if
>>you find something amiss on every one of these it'll become a hassle. It's
>>always best to design something to last literally forever.
>
> All of the suggestions are good but one of the problems is that all of
> the drums are plastic, probably something I should have mentioned at the
> beginning.

Argggh... coulda told us earlier.

.... Forgiven.

> .. I have around 25 drums in the system. and would like to monitor
> each drum individually as well as a whole.

With proportional pressure sensors that is going to become expensive.
Unless money is not too important here I'd go with float switches.

> I came across these pressure sensors: the MPX2010 and its amplified
> version the MPX5010 in my rummaging through DigiKey. Has anyone had any
> experience with them? Do you think they would work in the harsh environment
> of a backyard in West Central Florida?

Probably not. Also, note that only one of the 5010's is in stock, and
they've got just 55 of them (seems you'd need 25 of these plus spares).

> What case styles would you suggest? Could I build them in a small
> potting box and pot them to make them more weather resistant and what sort
> of potting would I use?

I'd look for something more industrial. Check Honeywell and the local
Grainger outlet. Ideally I'd want something where I could drill a hole,
cement in a fitting and then screw the sensor in with Teflon tape. IOW a
clean plumbing job, no kludges. IIRC the Honeywell 236PC series has that
thread but you'd have to check whether it fits, gives you the desired
resolution etc.

Whatever you do keep in mind that stuff like this may have to be
serviced and repaired. Murphy's law stipulates that there will be a
driving rain, gale force winds and some hail when that happens.

From: James F. Mayer on

> Hello James,

>>>This looks like a rig for personal use. Yearly inspections are ok but if
>>>you find something amiss on every one of these it'll become a hassle.
>>>It's always best to design something to last literally forever.
>>
>> All of the suggestions are good but one of the problems is that all
>> of the drums are plastic, probably something I should have mentioned at
>> the beginning.
>

> Argggh... coulda told us earlier.
>
> ... Forgiven.
>

>> .. I have around 25 drums in the system. and would like to monitor each
>> drum individually as well as a whole.
>>

> With proportional pressure sensors that is going to become expensive.
> Unless money is not too important here I'd go with float switches.

But where is the fun in designing curcuits?

>> I came across these pressure sensors: the MPX2010 and its amplified
>> version the MPX5010 in my rummaging through DigiKey. Has anyone had any
>> experience with them? Do you think they would work in the harsh
>> environment of a backyard in West Central Florida?
>

> Probably not. Also, note that only one of the 5010's is in stock, and
> they've got just 55 of them (seems you'd need 25 of these plus spares).

I was thinking just 2 to get on with the experimentation and then, when I
have the bugs worked out, get more. I am not in a real hurry. Just
something I thought about when I started to run sprinkler lines.

>> What case styles would you suggest? Could I build them in a small
>> potting box and pot them to make them more weather resistant and what
>> sort of potting would I use?
>
> I'd look for something more industrial. Check Honeywell and the local
> Grainger outlet. Ideally I'd want something where I could drill a hole,
> cement in a fitting and then screw the sensor in with Teflon tape. IOW a
> clean plumbing job, no kludges. IIRC the Honeywell 236PC series has that
> thread but you'd have to check whether it fits, gives you the desired
> resolution etc.

The lowest pressure rating that I saw was 15 PSI. Too high and I would
have to construct some sort of amplifier to bring up the voltrages to
reasonable levels. The pressure I believe that I would be working with is
about 1.29 PSI (.43*3 Ft.). The range on the MPX5010 is 1.45 PSI and is
amplified to have a F/S output of 4.475 VDC with a F/S span of 4.275 with a
supply volyage of 4.75 VDC.

> Whatever you do keep in mind that stuff like this may have to be serviced
> and repaired. Murphy's law stipulates that there will be a driving rain,
> gale force winds and some hail when that happens.

Then the irrigation pump shouldn't be running.

Maybe I should add a precipitation detector also?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: LDR detector
Next: Fluorescent ballasts anyone?