From: Charles Jean on
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:31:45 GMT, "James F. Mayer"
<jfma(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Rich,

>>> And your objection to making a yearly inspection of your facilities would
>>> be....? ;-)
>>>

>> This looks like a rig for personal use. Yearly inspections are ok but if
>> you find something amiss on every one of these it'll become a hassle. It's
>> always best to design something to last literally forever.
>>

> All of the suggestions are good but one of the problems is that all of
>the drums are plastic, probably something I should have mentioned at the
>beginning. I have around 25 drums in the system. and would like to monitor
>each drum individually as well as a whole.
>
> I came across these pressure sensors: the MPX2010 and its amplified
>version the MPX5010 in my rummaging through DigiKey. Has anyone had any
>experience with them? Do you think they would work in the harsh environment
>of a backyard in West Central Florida?
> What case styles would you suggest? Could I build them in a small
>potting box and pot them to make them more weather resistant and what sort
>of potting would I use?

___
How about a strain gauge that goes up to 400-500 lbs and weigh them?
They are used in some pretty rough environments.
I have no idea of the cost though.
___
If God hadn't intended us to eat animals,
He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!
- John Cleese
From: John Fields on
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 21:55:16 GMT, "James F. Mayer"
<jfma(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I believe that a short time ago there was a discussion about this. but
>depending on the head of the tank one could use an MPX5000 series pressure
>sensor with a dip tube or am I too late?
>
> I have a number of 55 gal drums of water that I would like to know the
>depth of in my rain water gathering system so that I don't pump it dry and
>ruin a sprinkler pump. I am going to use one of them per drum to monitor
>the levels. I believe that the pressure of one foot of head is .43 PSI and
>that a drum is about 3 feet deep, giving a pressure of 1.29 PSI. Does this
>sound correct?

---
Yes.

Here's a really simple and reliable way to do it:

http://www.madisonco.com/level/LLS.htm

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
From: Joerg on
Hello James,

>>With proportional pressure sensors that is going to become expensive.
>>Unless money is not too important here I'd go with float switches.
>
> But where is the fun in designing curcuits?

True. But since you said you are in a hurry, wife breathing down your
back, reminding you to get it done, saying there are lots more honey-dos
on the list...

> The lowest pressure rating that I saw was 15 PSI. Too high and I would
> have to construct some sort of amplifier to bring up the voltrages to
> reasonable levels. The pressure I believe that I would be working with is
> about 1.29 PSI (.43*3 Ft.). The range on the MPX5010 is 1.45 PSI and is
> amplified to have a F/S output of 4.475 VDC with a F/S span of 4.275 with a
> supply volyage of 4.75 VDC.

Sure, but there is fun in designing circuits :-)))

>>Whatever you do keep in mind that stuff like this may have to be serviced
>>and repaired. Murphy's law stipulates that there will be a driving rain,
>>gale force winds and some hail when that happens.
>
> Then the irrigation pump shouldn't be running.

Yes, if you don't have a weather pattern like we do. A month of bone dry
weather followed by a huge storm. Then another dry spell comes up,
meantime a sensor croaked but now you have to leave for a lengthy biz
trip to Asia.

> Maybe I should add a precipitation detector also?

I assume you run it via a sprinkler controller or something like that,
with a master pump output. For many of those you can buy a precipitation
sensor. The really good ones may allow for gradual adjustment of the
zone times depending on how much precipitation there was.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: Joerg on
Hello John,

> Here's a really simple and reliable way to do it:
>
> http://www.madisonco.com/level/LLS.htm

Cool. Looks like the Lexus edition of ye olde float switch. Thanks for
the link.

From: James F. Mayer on

> Hello James,
>

>>>With proportional pressure sensors that is going to become expensive.
>>>Unless money is not too important here I'd go with float switches.
>>
>> But where is the fun in designing curcuits?
>>

> True. But since you said you are in a hurry, wife breathing down your
> back, reminding you to get it done, saying there are lots more honey-dos
> on the list...

What wife? I ain't got no steenking wife.

>> The lowest pressure rating that I saw was 15 PSI. Too high and I
>> would have to construct some sort of amplifier to bring up the voltrages
>> to reasonable levels. The pressure I believe that I would be working
>> with is about 1.29 PSI (.43*3 Ft.). The range on the MPX5010 is 1.45
>> PSI and is amplified to have a F/S output of 4.475 VDC with a F/S span of
>> 4.275 with a supply volyage of 4.75 VDC.
>>

> Sure, but there is fun in designing circuits :-)))

Sure, but forcing a part to do what it wasn't designed for and not within
the specs when there is one that is doesn't sounf good to me.

>>>Whatever you do keep in mind that stuff like this may have to be serviced
>>>and repaired. Murphy's law stipulates that there will be a driving rain,
>>>gale force winds and some hail when that happens.
>>
>> Then the irrigation pump shouldn't be running.
>>

> Yes, if you don't have a weather pattern like we do. A month of bone dry
> weather followed by a huge storm. Then another dry spell comes up,
> meantime a sensor croaked but now you have to leave for a lengthy biz trip
> to Asia.

I'd like to take a trip to Asia on business. I'd like to have a
business where I could afford to go to Asia.

>> Maybe I should add a precipitation detector also?
>>

> I assume you run it via a sprinkler controller or something like that,
> with a master pump output. For many of those you can buy a precipitation
> sensor. The really good ones may allow for gradual adjustment of the zone
> times depending on how much precipitation there was.

Know of any ones like that?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: LDR detector