From: Joerg on
Hello James,

>>> The lowest pressure rating that I saw was 15 PSI. Too high and I
>>>would have to construct some sort of amplifier to bring up the voltrages
>>>to reasonable levels. The pressure I believe that I would be working
>>>with is about 1.29 PSI (.43*3 Ft.). The range on the MPX5010 is 1.45
>>>PSI and is amplified to have a F/S output of 4.475 VDC with a F/S span of
>>>4.275 with a supply volyage of 4.75 VDC.
>>>
>>Sure, but there is fun in designing circuits :-)))
>
> Sure, but forcing a part to do what it wasn't designed for and not within
> the specs when there is one that is doesn't sounf good to me.

Oh, I do that all the time. Thing is, the low pressure ones you
mentioned look a bit flimsy. I'd prefer something that can be plumbed in.

>>I assume you run it via a sprinkler controller or something like that,
>>with a master pump output. For many of those you can buy a precipitation
>>sensor. The really good ones may allow for gradual adjustment of the zone
>>times depending on how much precipitation there was.
>
> Know of any ones like that?

Don't remember, have seen them at Home Depot. The Toro 12-station timer
we have can be equipped with one so you could check their web site. I
just didn't buy it because we really don't need that feature. Summers
out here are nearly rainless.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: James F. Mayer on

"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello James,

>>>Sure, but there is fun in designing circuits :-)))
>>
>> Sure, but forcing a part to do what it wasn't designed for and not
>> within the specs when there is one that is doesn't sounf good to me.
>>

> Oh, I do that all the time. Thing is, the low pressure ones you mentioned
> look a bit flimsy. I'd prefer something that can be plumbed in.

Matbe I'll have to put thim in some sort of enclosure with pipe threads
and pot them.

>>>I assume you run it via a sprinkler controller or something like that,
>>>with a master pump output. For many of those you can buy a precipitation
>>>sensor. The really good ones may allow for gradual adjustment of the zone
>>>times depending on how much precipitation there was.
>>
>> Know of any ones like that?
>
> Don't remember, have seen them at Home Depot. The Toro 12-station timer we
> have can be equipped with one so you could check their web site. I just
> didn't buy it because we really don't need that feature. Summers out here
> are nearly rainless.

I'll have to look the next time I'm in the one up the road. I was
there today but I didn't have those on my list. I'll start a new list.

From: joseph2k on
James F. Mayer wrote:

> "Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
> message news:r50ma2dsib6tk887j2p8r5522bq279j411(a)4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:50:22 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
>> <paul(a)hovnanian.com> wrote:

>>>That sounds about right. However ...
>>>
>>>This technique of measuring tank depth (quantity) may not work well over
>>>a long period of time. In a washing machine, for example, the dip tube
>>>only needs to maintain a reading for the duration of the fill cycle. I
>>>suspect that slow leakage or air in the dip tube dissolving into the
>>>water over longer periods (days, weeks) may reduce its accuracy.
>>>

>> That's the scenario I've been pondering. I'm trying to figure a way
>> to measure (salt) aquarium level, for top off, that's reliable.
>>
>> I'm pondering a combination of washing-machine-style dip tube plus a
>> (electro-mechanical) timer, to ensure that the tube clears before
>> refill.
>>
>> Hopefully that would prevent false overfills due to air seepage from
>> the dip tube.
>>

> Running some of the aerator air through the dip tube would solve that
> problem, I'd think.

Er, no. Continuous purge air would give erroneous readings. Purge, stop,
wait a little, then measure. Using aerator air for purge trades a pump for
a bit of tubing, purge valve is still required though, potentially a good
deal.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.
From: YD on
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:56:33 GMT, Joerg
<notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Hello Joel,
>

>>>c. PVC pipe with end cap, must be absolutely water tight. Copper pipe in the
>>>middle that has an OD almost as large as the ID of the PVC pipe. Connect
>>>oscillator circuit to it. This forms a capacitor where the capacitance
>>>changes with the water level.
>>
>> You're using the container itself (55 gal. metal drum) as the other side of
>> the capacitor... right?
>>

>That's what the other port would connect to. Here is a similar example:
>
>http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=11491
>
>Although I would not do that with a monostable but with a regular LC
>oscillator. More stability, less drift (if built properly).

Capacitive bridges aren't uncommon. Endress+Hauser has a range of
them. Single teflon covered rod if the liquid is conductive, two rods
side by side or concentric if it isn't. A bit of a hassle since they
need to be calibrated in-situ. Largely superceded by ultrasonic and
microwave systems.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
From: YD on
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:23:15 GMT, "James F. Mayer"
<jfma(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Hello James,

>>> But where is the fun in designing curcuits?
>>>

>> True. But since you said you are in a hurry, wife breathing down your
>> back, reminding you to get it done, saying there are lots more honey-dos
>> on the list...
>>

> What wife? I ain't got no steenking wife.
>

>>> The lowest pressure rating that I saw was 15 PSI. Too high and I
>>> would have to construct some sort of amplifier to bring up the voltrages
>>> to reasonable levels. The pressure I believe that I would be working
>>> with is about 1.29 PSI (.43*3 Ft.). The range on the MPX5010 is 1.45
>>> PSI and is amplified to have a F/S output of 4.475 VDC with a F/S span of
>>> 4.275 with a supply volyage of 4.75 VDC.
>>>

>> Sure, but there is fun in designing circuits :-)))
>>

> Sure, but forcing a part to do what it wasn't designed for and not within
>the specs when there is one that is doesn't sounf good to me.

A float, a pot, a weight, a pulley, maybe some gearing. Take it up
from there.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.