From: mobilemobile on
We're developing apps for Pocket PC 2003, but we also want to keep an eye on
Windows Mobile 5.0 etc. For instance, to get a unique id, we're using
KernelIoControl, but we also want to implement GetDeviceUniqueID (WinMob5
only).

1) Is there a constant that I can use to separate PPC2003 from WinMob5?
When I set the target platform to either "Pocket PC 2003" or "Windows Mobile
5.0 Pocket PC SDK" both set PocketPC=TRUE (rather than "Windows Mobile 5.0
Smartphone SDK" which sets Smartphone=TRUE). Is there a constant
specifically for WinMob5?

2) Is there any reason to compile/build with the platform set to WinMob5
(rather than PPC2003) when I create the shippable versions? I've read
elsewhere here that PPC2003 exe's will run on WinMob5 (assuming I'm not using
deprecated classes etc). Are the exe's different? If I should have 2
versions (for both PPC2003 and WinMob5) is there any way to tell the project
that each should go in different subdirectories?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
From: Chris Scott on
What language are you developing with?

Here's what I do for C/C++:
1. I think there's a preprocessor constant defined that will give you this.
I don't use the predefined ones because I can't trust that Microsoft will
keep them constant so I just define my own. You can define preprocessor
constants by target platform in the project properties.

2. I build separate EXE's for the separate OS's as it helps to keep things
simpler for me. They build into their own separate directories
automatically, and my automated build process picks them up and rolls them
into a CAB that's specific to the target OS. I think the 2003 EXE's are
supposed to run on WM5 if you follow all the rules, but I don't know if it
works the other way around or not.

From: r_z_aret on
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:26:30 -0800, mobilemobile
<mobilemobile(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We're developing apps for Pocket PC 2003, but we also want to keep an eye on
>Windows Mobile 5.0 etc. For instance, to get a unique id, we're using
>KernelIoControl, but we also want to implement GetDeviceUniqueID (WinMob5
>only).
>
>1) Is there a constant that I can use to separate PPC2003 from WinMob5?
>When I set the target platform to either "Pocket PC 2003" or "Windows Mobile
>5.0 Pocket PC SDK" both set PocketPC=TRUE (rather than "Windows Mobile 5.0
>Smartphone SDK" which sets Smartphone=TRUE). Is there a constant
>specifically for WinMob5?

I haven't tried VS 2005 yet, and so have not yet tried to develop
explicitly for WM 5. I _assume_ it will provide some way to
differentiate WM 5 and/or Pocket PC 2005 from earlier.

I'm pretty sure I never make any actual run-time checks. But I do
include actual platform and OS in my About box. To get that info, I
use SystemParametersInfo with SPI_GETPLATFORMTYPE as the first
argument, plus GetVersionEx to get OS info. See

// a 4 Jan 2003 contribution by Tim Wilson to a thread called "INF
// file for multiplatform setup" in this newsgroup.
// also, 7 July 2003 contribution from Yaroslav Goncharov to
// thread called
// "Running the same AP between Pocket PC and Pocket PC 2002" in
// microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer
// From 18 Jul 03 contribution from Almon B. Strowger to thread
// called
// eVC 4.0 vs VS.NET for C++ in
microsoft.public.pocketpc.develoepr:
// PPC2000 & PPC2002 report an OS major version of 3
// PPC2003 reports an OS major of 4 and a minor of 20
// See 25 Jul 03 contribution by Andre Joubert to thread called
// "How can I programatically determine the OS version" in
// comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 for info about XP vs 2003
Server

I definitely do use compile-time switches. I use the following to
define exactly one FOR... macro, and then use that in #ifdef
statments.

#ifdef UNDER_CE
// #if defined( FOR_HPC ) || defined( FOR_PsPC ) || defined(
FOR_PsPC2 ) || defined( FOR_HPCPro ) || defined( FOR_PocketPC ) ||
defined( FOR_HPC2K ) || defined( FOR_SSDK ) || defined( FOR_SSDK420 )
|| defined( FOR_DAP ) || defined( FOR_Smartphone ) || defined(
FOR_Smartphone2002 )
// 16 Mar 04 (4.0.0.59)
#if defined( FOR_PocketPC2002 ) || defined( FOR_PocketPC2003 )
#ifndef FOR_PocketPC
#define FOR_PocketPC
#endif
#elif defined( FOR_Smartphone2002 ) || defined( FOR_Smartphone2003
)
#ifndef FOR_Smartphone
#define FOR_Smartphone
#endif
#endif
#if defined( FOR_HPC ) || defined( FOR_PsPC ) || defined( FOR_PsPC2
) || defined( FOR_HPCPro ) || defined( FOR_PocketPC ) || defined(
FOR_HPC2K ) || defined( FOR_SSDK ) || defined( FOR_SSDK420 ) ||
defined( FOR_DAP ) || defined( FOR_Smartphone )
// do nothing (let caller override)
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 200
#define FOR_HPC
#define WIN32_PLATFORM_HPC
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 201
#define FOR_PsPC
#define WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 211
#if defined( _WIN32_WC_PSPC ) || defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC)
#define FOR_PsPC2
#elif defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_HPCPRO )
#define FOR_HPCPro
#else
// Quotation marks added for resource compiler 16 Apr 03
(4.0.0.1)
#error "Can't determine platform for CE 2.11"
#endif
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 300
// WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC is defined by eVC IDE
#if defined( _WIN32_WCE_PSPC ) || defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC
)
// Could check whether WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC==310 to detect Pocket
PC 2002,
// but BZ's code doesn't distinguish
// Support for FOR_PocketPC2002 added 31 Jan 05 (7.7.0.17)
#if WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC == 310
#define FOR_PocketPC2002
#endif
#define FOR_PocketPC
// 1 Feb 04 (4.0.0.48) eVC 3 IDE defines WIN32_PLATFORM_HPC2000
// #elif defined( _WIN32_WCE_HPC ) || defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_HPC
) || defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_HPC2000 )
#elif defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_HPC2000 )
#define FOR_HPC2K
#elif defined ( WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP )
// 24 Feb 04 (4.0.0.54)
#if WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP != 100
#error WCE 300, but WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP != 100
#endif
#define FOR_Smartphone2002
#define FOR_Smartphone
#else
// Quotation marks added for resource compiler 16 Apr 03
(4.0.0.1)
#error "Can't determine platform for CE 3.0"
#endif
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 400 || _WIN32_WCE == 410
// #define FOR_NET
#define FOR_SSDK
#elif _WIN32_WCE == 420
// added 22 Oct 03
#if defined( WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC )
// This is actually Pocket PC 2003, but BZ's code doesn't
distinguish
// Support for FOR_PocketPC2003 added 31 Jan 05 (7.7.0.17)
#define FOR_PocketPC2003
#define FOR_PocketPC
#elif defined ( WCE_PLATFORM_CEXXXX )
#define FOR_DAP
#elif defined ( WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP )
// 13 Mar 04 (4.0.0.59)
#if WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP != 200
#error WCE 420, but WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP != 200
#endif
#define FOR_Smartphone2003
#define FOR_Smartphone
#else
#define FOR_SSDK420
#endif
#else
// Quotation marks added for resource compiler 16 Apr 03 (4.0.0.1)
#error "Can't determine CE version"
#endif
#elif defined( FOR_Desktop )
// do nothing (let caller override)
#else
#define FOR_Desktop
#endif

>2) Is there any reason to compile/build with the platform set to WinMob5
>(rather than PPC2003) when I create the shippable versions? I've read
>elsewhere here that PPC2003 exe's will run on WinMob5 (assuming I'm not using
>deprecated classes etc). Are the exe's different? If I should have 2
>versions (for both PPC2003 and WinMob5) is there any way to tell the project
>that each should go in different subdirectories?

I use the original Pocket PC SDK with eVC 3 to build apps that run on
Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003SE, and WM 5 for Pocket PC. I
regularly build using all the SDKs I have, but have not tested many of
the results. In particular, I'm not sure whether I've tested under WM
5 something built using the Pocket PC 2003 SDK with eVC 4. But I'm
quite sure it would work. Bear in mind that I've been maintaining
maximum compatibility since Windows CE 2.0 (second edition HPC and
original Palm-size PC).

I sure put executables for each platform in separate folders. I have
one workspace for each program. Within each of those workspaces, I
have one project for each platform.

>Thanks for any help,
>Steve

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: mobilemobile on

"Chris Scott" wrote:

Thanks for your reply Chris.

> What language are you developing with?

VB and NETcf v2

> Here's what I do for C/C++:
> 1. I think there's a preprocessor constant defined that will give you this.
> I don't use the predefined ones because I can't trust that Microsoft will
> keep them constant so I just define my own. You can define preprocessor
> constants by target platform in the project properties.
>
> 2. I build separate EXE's for the separate OS's as it helps to keep things
> simpler for me. They build into their own separate directories
> automatically, and my automated build process picks them up and rolls them
> into a CAB that's specific to the target OS. I think the 2003 EXE's are
> supposed to run on WM5 if you follow all the rules, but I don't know if it
> works the other way around or not.

Yeah, that sounds like what I've done in eVC, but VB seems to force you to
only target one platform at a time. When I "Change Target Platform" VS
closes the project then reopens, so I get the feeling it will only let me
target one platform at a time, but I'm definitely not sure. I can't find
options for compile/link by device like eVC.

From: Daniel Moth on
If you need to have separate binaries for different targets, then you will
need separate projects. You can share the code and use conditional
compilation for the different code paths. That is what the PocketPC
predefined constant is about (and you can define your own). This process is
traditionally used for targeting desktop and device but can equally be
applied to different device versions as you require:
http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2004/09/share-code-if-fullframe_17.html

Change Target Platform makes no backup of your project so if you are going
to use that make sure you make a manual backup. It is useful for
creating/forking a new project typically going from PPC to SP.

Cheers
Daniel
--

> "Chris Scott" wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply Chris.
>
>> What language are you developing with?
>
> VB and NETcf v2
>

>> Here's what I do for C/C++:
>> 1. I think there's a preprocessor constant defined that will give you
>> this.
>> I don't use the predefined ones because I can't trust that Microsoft will
>> keep them constant so I just define my own. You can define preprocessor
>> constants by target platform in the project properties.
>>
>> 2. I build separate EXE's for the separate OS's as it helps to keep
>> things
>> simpler for me. They build into their own separate directories
>> automatically, and my automated build process picks them up and rolls
>> them
>> into a CAB that's specific to the target OS. I think the 2003 EXE's are
>> supposed to run on WM5 if you follow all the rules, but I don't know if
>> it
>> works the other way around or not.
>
> Yeah, that sounds like what I've done in eVC, but VB seems to force you to
> only target one platform at a time. When I "Change Target Platform" VS
> closes the project then reopens, so I get the feeling it will only let me
> target one platform at a time, but I'm definitely not sure. I can't find
> options for compile/link by device like eVC.
>

>> "mobilemobile" <mobilemobile(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 1) Is there a constant that I can use to separate PPC2003 from WinMob5?
>> >
>> > 2) Is there any reason to compile/build with the platform set to
>> > WinMob5
>> > (rather than PPC2003) when I create the shippable versions? I've read
>> > elsewhere here that PPC2003 exe's will run on WinMob5 (assuming I'm not
>> > using
>> > deprecated classes etc). Are the exe's different? If I should have 2
>> > versions (for both PPC2003 and WinMob5) is there any way to tell the
>> > project
>> > that each should go in different subdirectories?
>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: eVC 4 Startup error
Next: IMailSyncCallBack