From: Peter Marshall on
I am attempting to kill a running task on a domain-member PC (name is PC1)
from my one of my domain-member servers (name is Server1) with the following
command. The server is logged into the domain as the domain administrator.

taskkill /S PC1 /U domain1\administrator /P pass /PID 999 /F

where
/S is the system (computer) name PC1,
/U is the administrator user name on domain1,
/P is the administrator password,
/PID is the running process ID on PC1,
/F to forcefully terminate the process.

As a result, I get the error message "Logon failure: unknown user name or
bad password.". What gives? Is there something in Active Directory that
needs to be done to allow this?

Peter Marshall
Manager Information Services
Ohio Coatings Company

From: neo on
I have found that I don't have to supply the user account/password when
doing this between two domain member devices and I'm logged in with a domain
user id that has administrators rights on both devices. Do you get the same
results when dropping the "/u and /p" switches?

From: Peter Marshall on
If I don't provide the /U and /P parameters, I am still prompted for the
domain\administrator password and it still tells me "Logon failure: unknown
user name or
bad password.".

From: Matija Kapraljevic [Revenger] on
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:25:34 -0400, Peter Marshall wrote:

> If I don't provide the /U and /P parameters, I am still prompted for the
> domain\administrator password and it still tells me "Logon failure: unknown
> user name or
> bad password.".

It's just a wild guess, but did you try logging in with local admin
password of the member PC (if local admin is enabled)? I know it should
work with the domain admin but you could try this...

--
Pozdrav
From: Peter Marshall on
I had tried that but tried it again; same result:."Logon failure: unknown
user name or bad password.".