From: C on
Hi Kevin,
First, what version of Project are you using?
Second, Are you saying that you have no dependencies and no constraints?

I haven't seen MSP behave this way. If you enter in 5 tasks without
constraints or predacessors, They should all start on the project start date
and run the duration that you have entered (provided the tasks are setup as
fixed duration non effort driven). Have you checked to see what task type
you have for task # 1?

Project will not automatically assume that you want the tasking to run from
task 1 to task 5. ie...you want task 2 to start when task 1 completes and
task 3 to start when task 2 completes and so on if you don't tell it.
Therefore, if you want the tasks run run consecutively you have to used
predecessors.

From: Dale Howard [MVP] on
Kevin --

You are more than welcome, my friend! :)

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services