From: Kevin Slane on
This is probably a pretty goofy question, but one that perplexes me
nonetheless.

If I have a simple project with 5 tasks, and assign myself as the resource
on all of them, why does MSP shove the first task all the way out (it's a
half day task) to the end of the project, then put the remaining tasks in
order?

If I add dependencies, then all the tasks show up in order from 1 to 5, but
the reality is, these tasks aren't actually dependent on each other. So,
without setting dependencies where they probably shouldn't exist, and without
setting start-no-earlier-than constraints on my tasks, how can I tell project
to just schedule all the tasks in order based on their ID order? I just
don't understand why it wants to have me start with task 2 and push task 1
all the way to the end.
From: Dale Howard [MVP] on
Kevin --

It sounds like you have leveling set to Automatic in your Microsoft Project
software. Click Tools - Level resources and set the Leveling Calculations
option to Manual at the top of the dialog. This should resolve your first
problem.

As to why the tool moved the half-day task all the way to the end of the
project, here's why: when you assigned yourself to all five tasks, and there
were no dependencies set on these tasks, you created and overallocation, and
then Microsoft Project leveled the overallocation immediately. To level the
resource overallocation, the software examined five factors on each of the
tasks on which you are overallocated. These factors include Start date,
Total Slack, Constraints, Priority number, and Predecessors. On each of
these five tasks, the Start dates were the same, the tasks had no
constraints, the tasks all had the same Priority number, and none of the
tasks were Predecessors. Therefore, the "tie breaker" leveling factor used
by the software was Total Slack. The half-day task had the most Total
Slack, therefore, the software delayed this task the most, which pushed it
to the end of the project.

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

From: Jim Aksel on
Is resource autoleveling turned on ? (Tools/Level Resources...)
Is the project scheduled to schedule from the start date (Project/Project
Information...)

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

From: Trevor Rabey on
If these 5 tasks are not related by being predecessors and successors, then
you should not link them, as you say.
If you assign the same resource to all of them, then unless you use leveling
to delay some of the tasks, then the resource will be over-allocated and
what you would have is a plan which is just not feasible. Short, yes, but
not possible.
If you level, MSP will delay tasks and completely resolve the
over-allocation, if possible, ie provided that there are no date constraints
and provided that resources are not assigned to summaries, or any other
reasons that might prevent resolution of the over-allocation.
If you level and MSP gives a solution, then a solution is better than none
at all, but there is more than one possible solution and the one you get may
not be the one you would prefer.
However, you can fine-tune the leveling to force MSP to give you a preferred
solution.
Try leveling with all of the check box options turned off.
Also, set the leveling order to "Priority, Standard".
Then set the relative priorities of the tasks.
The easy way to do this is to insert the Priority column/field and number
them in descending order.
Then level.
I do this all the time, usually with hundreds of tasks numbered from 1000
down the list, and it works a treat.
Hope this helps.
--
Trevor Rabey