From: dave.joubert on
I recently saw an Android scripting website, http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
, and Tcl is unfortunately not on there. Is there any 'official'
project aimed at Tcl on Android ?

Dave Joubert
From: bs on
On Sep 9, 7:38 am, "dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com"
<dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I recently saw an Android scripting website,http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
> , and Tcl is unfortunately not on there. Is there any 'official'
> project aimed at Tcl on Android ?
>
> Dave Joubert

I would love to see Tcl on Android. If only I had the time :(

I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but there is the
Hecl project, which is an implementation of a Tcl-like scripting
language written in Java, and is geared towards mobile phones. It is
spearheaded by David Welton, who has a lot of Tcl history.

http://www.hecl.org

I'd still like to see Tcl ported to Android though!
From: dave.joubert on
On Sep 9, 4:14 pm, bs <brett.schw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.hecl.org
>
> I'd still like to see Tcl ported to Android though!

I have seen Hecl before, and again recently.

There are certain things I did not like:

1) Hecl is not Tcl, nor does it claim to be.
Specifically, it does not have vwait , expr etc etc.

2) It does not seem to be a standalone interpreter. The website for
example says:
java -jar ./hecl/jars/AndroidBuilder.jar -android /opt/android-sdk_m5-
rc15_linux-x86/ -class Hello -label Hello -package hello.world -script
hello.hcl

and to run the app on the emulator
/opt/android-sdk_m5-rc15_linux-x86/tools/adb install Hello.apk

I suppose what I am looking for in the long run is the equivalent of
tclkit which runs on Android; if such an animal was available, I would
be quite happy to pay for it via the Android marketplace. I would even
be happy to pay twice to be able to run it on the emulator and the
phone.

Dave

From: terryowen on
On Sep 9, 9:38 am, "dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com"
<dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I recently saw an Android scripting website,http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
> , and Tcl is unfortunately not on there. Is there any 'official'
> project aimed at Tcl on Android ?
>
> Dave Joubert

I added a request in the ASE issue tracker a while back for TCL but
the last time I was there it hadn't been accepted or assigned.

Back in January, there was an Evolane announcement that they had
compiled eTcl for Android's specific ARM architecture but I downloaded
the archive file and wasn't quite sure what to do with it... I have a
rooted phone (CM rom 4.1.5) but am still somewhat clueless about
native Linux apps. There are things you can do in certain terminals
and not others and I can't seem to make the etcl files executable.

Terry

From: David N. Welton on
On Sep 9, 6:41 pm, "dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com"
<dave.joub...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> >http://www.hecl.org
>
> > I'd still like to see Tcl ported to Android though!
>
> I have seen Hecl before, and again recently.
>
> There are certain things I did not like:
>
> 1) Hecl is not Tcl, nor does it claim to be.

Right. Tcl is too big to run in older J2ME environments, and I don't
think that Jacl would run even in modern ones because it uses too much
of Java, and J2ME is quite limited. It might be possible to port it
to Android, though.

It's also about the freedom to tinker with something. That makes it
much more fun for me. Also, not mentioning Tcl is a good way of
avoiding the stigma associated with the language.

> Specifically, it does not have vwait , expr etc etc.

It has a similar mechanism to vwait.

It doesn't have expr because it's a big ugly parser in an environment
that was designed to be small.

> 2) It does not seem to be a standalone interpreter. The website for
> example says:
> java -jar ./hecl/jars/AndroidBuilder.jar -android /opt/android-sdk_m5-
> rc15_linux-x86/ -class Hello -label Hello -package hello.world -script
> hello.hcl

That packages up your script into an application.

> and to run the app on the emulator
> /opt/android-sdk_m5-rc15_linux-x86/tools/adb install Hello.apk

Yep, you have to install it. Just like anything else.

> I suppose what I am looking for in the long run is the equivalent of
> tclkit which runs on Android; if such an animal was available, I would
> be quite happy to pay for it via the Android marketplace. I would even
> be happy to pay twice to be able to run it on the emulator and the
> phone.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the files that are generated by the
above commands are standalone applications. Are you looking for
something that can share scripts?

Hecl, like Tcl, is free software. You can "pay" for it by
contributing to it, something that is very welcome, and, I think, fun,
because there's more room to hack the language than there ever will be
on anything but a complete fork of Tcl.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: tcl/tk wish for seismic data display
Next: file unsplit?