From: CDWils on
I just can't get my head around this yet.

So in the past, my company has had a large set of corporate "templates" for
PPT — really easy to use, really easy to distribute.

We've begun a migration to 2007 and I'm reading that there's now a
difference between templates and design themes, and so far, nothing I've read
has really sunk in yet.

If I were to create a "template" that used a custom design theme I've
created on my system, will it transfer properly to other machines? Or do I
have to create the custom theme and have each individual user install that
theme on his/her system?
From: Scott Franks Scott on
I think that I am need of an answer to the same question that was asked of
the original poster (if I understood it correctly). That article was
informative. It confirmed my thoughts on what a theme actually is and what
it can do.

My specific question is this:

I am creating a template (using the term loosely...not necessarily a potx)
for widespread corporate use. I would like to distribute the custom theme
that I have created so that end-users will be able to access it from within
their Office suite. What is the best way to distribute the THMX file so that
it will be fully usable by end-users?

If I send the THMX file to everyone, how do they make the best use of it?
Do they have to navigate to the (Users>...>Microsoft>Templates>Document
Themes) folder folder manually and then drop in the THMX file so that it will
be forever accessible within their Office suite? Or is there a way to import
it through PowerPoint (or other apps) and have it installed to the proper
place automatically?

I hope this question is clear. In a nutshell, I'm just looking for "Best
Practices" advice for distributing and installing themes across a wide
network of users. I've got the theme properly save on my machine, how do it
get it properly placed on everyone else's machine?

Thanks for any guidance...