From: danb on
I apolgize in advance if this has been covered. The problem is so complex
that I can not seem to query it properly.... This is an old problem that I
worked around - but can no longer work around.

I had Server 2003 and Term Server running perfect. Along came SP1 and any
new user I created would no longer allow me to setup a certain accounting
program on the new users. I would get NTVDM errors. So I simply copied the
user profiles of legacy users and did all the regedit stuff and I could
create new users that way.

Then came SP2 and it got worse - new users would not even be able to access
exe setup and runtime files across mapped drives. Says I dont have access,
but I can do any thing over the mapped drive except run a client setup.exe or
fire the .exe for the program......Applied the same old work around.

In both cases - If the user is ADMIN it works, but I tried every security
combindtion possible and could never resolve it.

Something about the newly created users under the SP upgrades is limiting the
legacy 16 bit support.

Well now I have to create a new Term Server and I need to resolve it. My
accounting package said they were not "term server aware"....what ever that
means.

The accounting package requires a local install and then fires across the
mapped drive. With the ntvdm and all I guess it is 16 bit. It is modern and
constantly updated, not some ancient stuff. the only thing that it required
to work is running the PIF in sep mem space. I have it running great on my
Win 7 Pro32 workstations authenticating to the Server 2003 under legacy user
profiles. Win 7 is supported as long as it is 32 bit.....so again this is 16
bit software i presume.

After the 100 plus hours I have on this problem over the last 5 years....I
just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone. It was flawless on the
Original release of Server 2003 and the service packs have degraded it. I
don't know for sure from experience, but they say it works just fine on
Server 2003 SP2 WITHOUT TERM SERVER ROLE. Great! Does me no good :)

Seems the improvement of w2k3 and security updates and all have squeezed me
right out of operation. Was hoping some smart person saw a light.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

Dan B.

From: "Jeff Vandervoort" jeffv at jrvsystems dot on
16-bit? On a Terminal Server? Ewwww. In the same boat here with Sage
Timberline, caused in this case by the ancient Pervasive.SQL database
software on which it depends.

And though it may be updated frequently, if it's 16-bit, it is--by
definition--not modern!

Have you run Process Explorer to see where you're running into Access
Denieds? Perhaps the SP's tightened ACLs. You may need to loosen them up in
a few places. (If it's like Timberline, in a LOT of places!)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Suggestion: Put any ACL changes in Group Policy Objects so they
automatically apply to future terminal servers, including the one you're
about to set up, and will override changes made by Service Packs.

I doubt the issue is 16 vs 32 bit, but it's almost guaranteed that a program
around long enough to have been written as a 16-bit program is not written
with today's ACLs in mind. Esp. term server ACLs. And since it runs as an
admin, it's pretty much guaranteed to be an ACL problem.

And you probably already know this, but as many advantages as 64-bit holds
for RDP, stay with x86 for your new RDP server, or your 16-bit software will
not run at all.

--
Jeff Vandervoort
JRVsystems