From: Vahis on
On 2010-06-29, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Ulick Magee wrote:
>>
>> Exactly, my bank uses Java on their website and it took weeks of trial
>> and error to get it working on 11.1 64-bit. Then I installed an
>> unofficial updated KDE4 from a community repo which completely broke
>> KDE3, so I reinstalled 11.1 a couple of months ago and still haven't got
>> it working with my bank's website (have to boot into OSX :( )
>
> For me that would be a reason do change banks. Done so in the past. The
> bank I was with did only support IE, so I went to one that DID support
> Firefox. Also no extra software to be installed.

I have a different POV here.

The current economical situation in our country prevents me from
withdrawing my funds from my bank.

The one that has my account is the biggest in the country and
I don't want to rock the (their) boat and potentially make many people
lose their jobs.

It's so much easier to just install Java if they need it and I can sleep
in peace.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
From: Ulick Magee on
houghi wrote:

> For me that would be a reason do change banks. Done so in the past. The
> bank I was with did only support IE, so I went to one that DID support
> Firefox. Also no extra software to be installed.

It relies on a Java applet to authenticate you.

Java isn't really 'extra' software, as it comes with openSUSE, but the
Sun version has to be installed and downgrade Firefox to 32-bit and some
other step I did before but can't remember :(

IIRC the Sun JRE from the openSUSE repo never worked for me, had to get
it from Sun directly. I've tried the version I was using before the
reinstall, as well as later ones, and haven't managed to get it working
again.

Not easy to change banks here at the moment and the type of account I
have (free when in credit) is no longer available from any bank. So it
would cost me money.

Just trial and error I suppose...

I have a savings account with another bank and it only needs a browser
and Javascript and a little keypad thing they give you. My main bank
used to use their own keypad thing, but got rid of it and now use a
credit-card sized 'one time pad' and the Java applet.

It's secure and easy to use, when it's working!

As far as I know all the subsidiaries of Danske Bank use the same
system, but I haven't had much success searching for tips in English on
getting it working with Linux. They don't operate in the UK and have
quite a small market share in Ireland.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: Vahis on
On 2010-06-29, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Vahis wrote:
>> The current economical situation in our country prevents me from
>> withdrawing my funds from my bank.
>
> Due to legal reasons? Or due to losing money if you do? In both cases it
> should be obvious not to do it. I was thinking of a simple banking
> account.

To stop my obviously stupid joking from getting out of hand:

I'm one of those who only bring sand to the bank floor in the soles of their
shoes, nothing else. They are not interested in me or my accounts.

As much as I'd like to be filthy rich, I'm still driving the cab for living.

>> The one that has my account is the biggest in the country and
>> I don't want to rock the (their) boat and potentially make many people
>> lose their jobs.
>
> Look at it in another way. If you move, the other bank does not have to
> fire people and perhaps it is a wakeup call for them to listen to their
> customers and make access for them. That would mean hiring people.

They'll keep or lose their jobs just fine whatever I do with my money.
Anyway, I guess the biggest banks here are either Swedish or Danish owned,
so what do I care....

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
21:26pm up 17 days 5:58, 12 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.15
From: DenverD on
Ulick Magee wrote:
> As far as I know all the subsidiaries of Danske Bank use the same
> system, but I haven't had much success searching for tips in English

do i understand you bank with Danske Bank and need english
instructions? well...i can't find it...i went through the same a
couple of years ago...first you must get them to give you the little
electro key code maker, and you must have ONE particular SUN
java....two years ago it was the older of two in the openSUSE 10.3
repo....it would not work with the newer release..

and, to get going you must clear your browser cookies/cache....hmmmm,
if there is such a thing as a java cache clear it to...and THEN take
it step by step with their written instructions (in danish i know, so
use google translate..as you go)

but, forget all that, instead move to Sydbank and you can use your
firefox, but need their netbank code sheet (which is a challenge and
reply use once crypto)...

plus, i have found the folks in the newsgroup dk.edb.system.unix
helpful and friendly with problems like this...

plus, you might find this helpful (with a translator):
http://www.linux.dk/support/bank/?cn=dk

and, when you get yours working, add your info there..

--

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
A Texan in Denmark
From: Ulick Magee on
DenverD wrote:

> do i understand you bank with Danske Bank and need english
> instructions?

Yes, I bank with their Irish subsidiary.

> well...i can't find it...i went through the same a
> couple of years ago...first you must get them to give you the little
> electro key code maker

I used to have one of those but they've phased them out now, they now
use a credit-card sized piece of plastic with numbers printed all over
it which acts as a kind of cryptographic 'one time pad'. The Java applet
displays the 'challenge' numbers and you enter your response.

> and you must have ONE particular SUN
> java....two years ago it was the older of two in the openSUSE 10.3
> repo....it would not work with the newer release..

What bugs me most of all is that I can't get the same Sun version
working now that I had working before I reinstalled my OS (same version)

> and, to get going you must clear your browser cookies/cache....

I have Firefox set up to wipe everything at the end of a session.

> if there is such a thing as a java cache clear it to...

Does anyone know?

> plus, i have found the folks in the newsgroup dk.edb.system.unix
> helpful and friendly with problems like this...
>
> plus, you might find this helpful (with a translator):
> http://www.linux.dk/support/bank/?cn=dk
>
> and, when you get yours working, add your info there..

Thanks, I'll look into those.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3