From: vjp2.at on
Can you open NOTEPAD or WORDPAD readonly?

I tried setting the default program for some DOS info files as
the old VIEWS program or the LYNX browser and XP won't allow it.

I also tried Internet Explorer, which is too slow to start up.

I'm just afraid opening with NOTEPAD will accidentally change something
while I am searching.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

From: Big_Al on
vjp2.at(a)at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com said this on 5/11/2010 11:23 PM:
> Can you open NOTEPAD or WORDPAD readonly?
>
> I tried setting the default program for some DOS info files as
> the old VIEWS program or the LYNX browser and XP won't allow it.
>
> I also tried Internet Explorer, which is too slow to start up.
>
> I'm just afraid opening with NOTEPAD will accidentally change something
> while I am searching.
>

> - = -
> Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
> http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
> ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---
> [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
> [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

If I remember right, if you get in the habit of just hitting the X to
close notepad, it will ask you if you want to save a 'changed' file.
If the file is not changed then it just exits.
From: LDS5ZRA on

Yes by making the files "read-only" before opening them. You do
this by changing the files properties or by running this command
from CMD prompt:

attrib +r myfile.txt

Replace myfile.txt with your actual file name. Similarly for
WordPad file but check the file extension of wordpad file; it
could be rtf!

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LDS5ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LDS5ZRA 2010.

From: Billns on
On 5/11/2010 8:23 PM, vjp2.at(a)at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Can you open NOTEPAD or WORDPAD readonly?
>
> I tried setting the default program for some DOS info files as
> the old VIEWS program or the LYNX browser and XP won't allow it.
>
> I also tried Internet Explorer, which is too slow to start up.
>
> I'm just afraid opening with NOTEPAD will accidentally change something
> while I am searching.
>

> - = -
> Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
> http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
> ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---
> [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
> [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

If it's a fairly short file you can use "type filename.txt" at a command
prompt to see the contents. Of course you can't search easily.

Bill

Pages: 1
Prev: Add Remove print out.
Next: Partitioning