From: des on
I would like to add text to the top of summary bars, as several strech for
several months and it would be more convenient for the viewer to have the
title centered rather than offset to the side (right). When I alter the
format of the bar text for the summary bars, however, it increases the
distance between all of the bars within my entire project. The additional
space added to my project makes viewing the project extremely difficult. For
the dozen or so shorter tasks within the summary, having the text off to the
right is fine. Is there a way that I can have text placement at the top of
certain task bars without MS Project automatically increasing the row height
of all of the tasks?
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
No, unfortunately that's not possible. You can insert the names within the
bar though. That's about the best I could offer - or perhaps have the names
on both the left and the right in some views?

You might also look at perhaps rolling up Gantt Bars to the summary and then
adding the labels over the individual Gantt Bars? That would work if you
don't have too much overlap in your tasks.

Play with the options in Format > Layout and see if that does anything for
you.