From: Emece on
Hi.

I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one
column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to
Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example
Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it
assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column.

This is the result, with the example mentioned:
A B C D
Juan Pérez
Juan De los Santos

How can I indicate that I want De los Santos, all in one cell?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Emece.-

From: Luke M on
Instead of using Text to columns, I'd do this via formulas:
First Name:
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

Surname:
=MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1,999)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
With: Juan De los Santos in cell A1 -
* In cell C1 Type: =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1))
* In cell B1 type: =SUBSTITUTE(A1,C1,"")
Micky

From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
You may try also the Text to Columns feature.
In step 2 of 3 drag out(!) the marked vertical divider and press "Finish".
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4248/nonamef.png
Micky

From: Gord Dibben on
Your method works only with fixed width Micky.

Which is OK if all first names are same length.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:58:01 -0700, ????? (????) ?????
<micky-a[atsymbol]tapuz[dot]co[dot]il> wrote:

>You may try also the Text to Columns feature.
>In step 2 of 3 drag out(!) the marked vertical divider and press "Finish".
>http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4248/nonamef.png
>Micky
>

>"Emece" wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one
>> column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to
>> Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example
>> Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it
>> assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column.
>>
>> This is the result, with the example mentioned:
>> A B C D
>> Juan Pérez
>> Juan De los Santos
>>
>> How can I indicate that I want De los Santos, all in one cell?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Regards,
>> Emece.-
>>

 |  Next  |  Last