From: Frederick Williams on
I am looking for a program that will turn plain ASCII in to postscript.
Things such as font and margin widths should be user-selectable. I'd
like the source so that I can see how it works. Any suggestions?
--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: Jongware on
On 02-Aug-10 17:47 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> I am looking for a program that will turn plain ASCII in to postscript.
> Things such as font and margin widths should be user-selectable. I'd
> like the source so that I can see how it works. Any suggestions?

I wrote such things for the sheer fun of it, talking directly to a
LaserWriter with a terminal connection :-)

Googling for PostScript ASCII Printer, I got a few hits; this one seems
to do the basics:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~zben/PostScript/asciiprint.html

(and it comes with a How it Works section).

[Jw]
From: Frederick Williams on
Jongware wrote:

> On 02-Aug-10 17:47 PM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> > I am looking for a program that will turn plain ASCII in to postscript.
> > Things such as font and margin widths should be user-selectable. I'd
> > like the source so that I can see how it works. Any suggestions?
>
> I wrote such things for the sheer fun of it, talking directly to a
> LaserWriter with a terminal connection :-)

I wish to communicate with an HP LaserJet P1006 because I can't copy
plain text to it.

> Googling for PostScript ASCII Printer, I got a few hits; this one seems
> to do the basics:
>
> http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~zben/PostScript/asciiprint.html
>
> (and it comes with a How it Works section).

Thank you, that looks interesting.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: Jussi Piitulainen on
Frederick Williams writes:

> I am looking for a program that will turn plain ASCII in to postscript.
> Things such as font and margin widths should be user-selectable. I'd
> like the source so that I can see how it works. Any suggestions?

There's enscript. Lots of options. The versions I've used turn Latin-1
to Postscript. Google finds it easily, in FSF Free Software Directory
no less.

Now I need something that turns UTF-8 to PDF. Output is no problem, I
just pipe the Postscript to ps2pdf. For input, there's paps, which
Google finds at http://paps.sourcearchive.com/. Few options.
From: rouben on
In article <4C56E884.DDEBCEAC(a)tesco.net>,
Frederick Williams <frederick.williams2(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>I am looking for a program that will turn plain ASCII in to postscript.
>Things such as font and margin widths should be user-selectable. I'd
>like the source so that I can see how it works. Any suggestions?

Have a look at mpage:

http://www.mesa.nl/pub/mpage/

--
Rouben Rostamian