From: ram on
Hello ,
I have process that picks up multiple files from a directory forks
child processes and each child process works on a batch of files and
finishes the task

So what is the best way of doing it , preferably using a perl program

I am thinking of this

Parent process reads filenames from a file continuosly ( using tail )
divide tasks into $MAXCHILD processes but not exceeding $MAXBATCHSIZE
per child

I am not sure what is the best way.
Can someone pls give me some ideas
From: toby on
On Aug 6, 5:15 am, ram <ramprasad...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
> I have process that picks up multiple files from a directory forks
> child processes and each child process works on a batch of files and
> finishes the task
>
> So what is the best way of doing it , preferably using a perl program
>
> I am thinking of this
>
> Parent process reads filenames from a file continuosly ( using tail )
> divide tasks into $MAXCHILD processes but not exceeding $MAXBATCHSIZE
> per child

Semaphores and fifo?
http://www.classes.cs.uchicago.edu/archive/2008/fall/51081-1/LabFAQ/lab5/Semaphores.html

--Toby