From: shellyfDELETE on
Thanks to all who have helped me over the years with Win98, XP, and
now 7. Much appreciated.
And, I hope that I assisted via a few of my posts.
Microsoft forums are a step backward compared to this means of
communication, in my humble opinion.
ciao
From: VanguardLH on
shellyf wrote:

> Microsoft forums are a step backward compared to this means of
> communication, in my humble opinion.

Did you even ask your NSP (EasyNews) if they will be dropping the
microsoft.* newsgroups? They probably arent. Giganews isn't dropping
the microsoft.* newsgroups. Google Groups probably won't, either. My
NSP (Albasani) won't and I'm told that Eternal-September won't. So if
your current NSP drops the microsoft.* newsgroups, go find an NNTP
server that still does (some are free).

Microsoft decided to leave Usenet. Microsoft is not Usenet.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Bye-bye, see ya (and ju.c)

From: Jo-Anne on
"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> shellyf wrote:
>
>> Microsoft forums are a step backward compared to this means of
>> communication, in my humble opinion.
>
> Did you even ask your NSP (EasyNews) if they will be dropping the
> microsoft.* newsgroups? They probably arent. Giganews isn't dropping
> the microsoft.* newsgroups. Google Groups probably won't, either. My
> NSP (Albasani) won't and I'm told that Eternal-September won't. So if
> your current NSP drops the microsoft.* newsgroups, go find an NNTP
> server that still does (some are free).
>
> Microsoft decided to leave Usenet. Microsoft is not Usenet.
>
> What is Usenet:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
> http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
> http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

How do determine who or what your NSP is? Is this a question for my ISP?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

From: VanguardLH on
Jo-Anne wrote:

> How do determine who or what your NSP is? Is this a question for my ISP?

NSP = Newsgroups Service Provider

Microsoft operates their free NNTP server which you are already using
with Outlook Express. So find another NNTP server to which you can
connect Outlook Express (unless you also decide to use a better
newsreader). There are lots of NSPs (paid and free), like Giganews,
Albasani, Eternal-September, and more. Go ask the folks in the
alt.free.newsservers group. Alas, the Microsoft NNTP server to which
you connect to submit your post here only carries the microsoft.*
newsgroups. You'll have to use a different NNTP server to get at the
non-microsoft newsgroups. Microsoft's server has always had a very
limited number of newsgroups (i.e., just their own).

To get started with a free NSP, go visit www.albasani.net or
www.eternal-september.org to signup for a free posting account.
Instructions on how to configure your newsreader regarding settings for
their server are on their web site.