From: sbarry on
On Apr 12, 11:50 am, m...(a)OPTONLINE.NET (David Mabey) wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who contributed. I picked up some very useful tips.
> I find that when I run the job in the "Test Environement" using LSF, it
> completes without error. It appears that my problems were a result of the
> system settings on my development PC. By the way, can anyone explain:
>
> %let XXAMWAIT=#; where # is the number of minutes to wait.
>
> It was suggested by an "old timer" at SAS Institute, but I cannot find it
> documented anywhere.
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:57:24 -0700, Jeff J. Voeller <SAS-Program...(a)WYWH.COM> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 3:06 p.m.
> >David Mabey wrote:
>
> >> I am using FILENAME FTP to feed a large file that resides on z/OS tape
> >> to a batch SAS DATASTEP running on a PC. Every thing works fine until
> >> the tape robot needs to mount a new tape. Then the job hangs. The SAS
> >> log never completes and the SAS dataset that is being produced remains
> >> locked.
>
> >Are you using the DEBUG option on your FILENAME FTP statement? It might
> >tell you something useful.
>
> >Are you sure that your site allows tape mounting via this method? It's
> >fairly common (at least in my experience) to only allow tapes to be
> >accessed via JCL allocation.
>
> >If the dataset is on tape because it's enormous and/or you only need a
> >portion of that dataset (i.e., selected records and/or columns), it's
> >likely preferable to have a mainframe job write a subset of the data to
> >DASD, then use FTP to work with that subset. Since batch jobs can be
> >submitted via FTP, you can even incorporate that submission into your
> >existing process on the PC side.

Possibly this is a user macro variable set in the SAS code, which
would then be used on the FILENAME statement as keyword
WAIT=&XXAMWAIT. I have no idea if the WAIT= influences a FILENAME-FTP
connection.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

From: sbarry on
On Apr 12, 11:50 am, m...(a)OPTONLINE.NET (David Mabey) wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who contributed. I picked up some very useful tips.
> I find that when I run the job in the "Test Environement" using LSF, it
> completes without error. It appears that my problems were a result of the
> system settings on my development PC. By the way, can anyone explain:
>
> %let XXAMWAIT=#; where # is the number of minutes to wait.
>
> It was suggested by an "old timer" at SAS Institute, but I cannot find it
> documented anywhere.
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:57:24 -0700, Jeff J. Voeller <SAS-Program...(a)WYWH.COM> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 3:06 p.m.
> >David Mabey wrote:
>
> >> I am using FILENAME FTP to feed a large file that resides on z/OS tape
> >> to a batch SAS DATASTEP running on a PC. Every thing works fine until
> >> the tape robot needs to mount a new tape. Then the job hangs. The SAS
> >> log never completes and the SAS dataset that is being produced remains
> >> locked.
>
> >Are you using the DEBUG option on your FILENAME FTP statement? It might
> >tell you something useful.
>
> >Are you sure that your site allows tape mounting via this method? It's
> >fairly common (at least in my experience) to only allow tapes to be
> >accessed via JCL allocation.
>
> >If the dataset is on tape because it's enormous and/or you only need a
> >portion of that dataset (i.e., selected records and/or columns), it's
> >likely preferable to have a mainframe job write a subset of the data to
> >DASD, then use FTP to work with that subset. Since batch jobs can be
> >submitted via FTP, you can even incorporate that submission into your
> >existing process on the PC side.

I would submit that the macro variable you mention is user code and it
is substituted on the FILENAME-FTP statement as WAIT=&XXAMWAIT --
though I do not know precisely how the WAIT= parameter might influence
an FTP connection.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.