From: Daddy on
Here is Dell's official line (latest version) on why it no longer
provides a Windows disc:

"Why Did My Dell System Not Come With Discs?"
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=87FC543FED0E9CF0E040AC0A64E94775&doclang=en

Excerpts:

"Dell prides itself on listening to its customers!"

"We recognize that storing piles of disks and locating them when in need
can be time consuming and decrease productivity in your organization or
livelihood. We have come out [instead] with two backup and recovery
software products..."

That's got to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time, in
addition to being a crock. But maybe I'm wrong. So I'd like to conduct
an informal survey of the Dell user community.

Have you ever told Dell: "Please stop including a Windows re-install
disc with your computers? Storing and locating that disc is time
consuming and it decreases my productivity. Thanks for listening."

Daddy
From: Bob Pownall on
Daddy wrote:
> Here is Dell's official line (latest version) on why it no longer
> provides a Windows disc:
>
> "Why Did My Dell System Not Come With Discs?"
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=87FC543FED0E9CF0E040AC0A64E94775&doclang=en
>

> Excerpts:
>
> "Dell prides itself on listening to its customers!"
>
> "We recognize that storing piles of disks and locating them when in need
> can be time consuming and decrease productivity in your organization or
> livelihood. We have come out [instead] with two backup and recovery
> software products..."
>
> That's got to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time, in
> addition to being a crock. But maybe I'm wrong. So I'd like to conduct
> an informal survey of the Dell user community.
>
> Have you ever told Dell: "Please stop including a Windows re-install
> disc with your computers? Storing and locating that disc is time
> consuming and it decreases my productivity. Thanks for listening."
>
> Daddy

Translation: "We can save a buck or so by not sending you re-install discs"

What a crock.

Bob Pownall
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> "Dell prides itself on listening to its customers!"

Okeydokeythen... <ahem>

"Dell, put a real operating system reinstallation disc in the box with
the computer."

(And so far as I know, they still do include one with some machines,
such as the OptiPlex and Latitude series.)

> That's got to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time, in
> addition to being a crock.

You sure called that one! (Just as I'll call Dell and politely suggest
that they send me real operating system and application installation
discs, if I don't get any with the next Dell system I buy--whether for
myself or a customer!)

> But maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this.

> Have you ever told Dell: "Please stop including a Windows re-install
> disc with your computers?  Storing and locating that disc is time
> consuming and it decreases my productivity. Thanks for listening."

Nope, can't say as I *ever* have. Or ever will, for that matter!

But then again, Dell doesn't know that this newsgroup exists any
longer.

William
From: Pat Conover on
"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi!

> "Dell prides itself on listening to its customers!"

Okeydokeythen... <ahem>

"Dell, put a real operating system reinstallation disc in the box with
the computer."

(And so far as I know, they still do include one with some machines,
such as the OptiPlex and Latitude series.)

> That's got to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time, in
> addition to being a crock.

You sure called that one! (Just as I'll call Dell and politely suggest
that they send me real operating system and application installation
discs, if I don't get any with the next Dell system I buy--whether for
myself or a customer!)

> But maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this.

> Have you ever told Dell: "Please stop including a Windows re-install
> disc with your computers? Storing and locating that disc is time
> consuming and it decreases my productivity. Thanks for listening."

Nope, can't say as I *ever* have. Or ever will, for that matter!

But then again, Dell doesn't know that this newsgroup exists any
longer.

William

Unbelievable! That's one main reason I do Buy Dells! Those Ziploc freezer
bags with the OS and other CDs, with the owner and system name are taking up
way to much space though. <g> Pat

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Unbelievable! That's one main reason I do Buy Dells! Those Ziploc freezer
> bags with the OS and other CDs, with the owner and system name are taking
up
> way to much space though. <g> Pat

Well, guess what. You can "stand down red alert" for a little while longer.
Tonight, and on the behalf of a customer, I ordered a Latitude E5500 with
Windows 7 preloaded, and while it does say "no installation media" at OS
selection time, you are offered the option to have real installation media
delivered with the system for $3 per disc. I took the option for all
preloaded software (Win7 and the Cyberlink DVD playback program).

So there you have it. Can't say about the "home" line machines or the home
products store.

William