From: paul8 on
My latitude D505 has been unused for several months. It is in good
shape, but nothing happens now when pressing the start button - Only
sign of life is the green light on the Power adapter. No sign of
battery charging either after 2 hours.
Is the mobo dead?
Are there any pre-boot selftest keys? . I remember when a Dell service
man was here for repairing an XPS1330 laptop. He was able to get
onscreen colourpatterns by holding a key during power-up.
From: Bob Villa on
On Jun 8, 10:24 am, paul8 <pauld...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> My latitude D505 has been unused for several months. It is in good
> shape, but nothing happens now when pressing the start button - Only
> sign of life is the green light on the Power adapter. No sign of
> battery charging either after 2 hours.
> Is the mobo dead?
> Are there any pre-boot selftest keys? . I remember when a Dell service
> man was here for repairing an XPS1330 laptop. He was able to get
> onscreen colourpatterns by holding a key during power-up.

My thoughts (not an expert)...the battery has drained to the extent
that the charger can not handle the load to recharge it.
(hope that's all it is)

bob
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.

If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.

You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
displays.

William
From: Christopher Muto on
paul8 wrote:
> My latitude D505 has been unused for several months. It is in good
> shape, but nothing happens now when pressing the start button - Only
> sign of life is the green light on the Power adapter. No sign of
> battery charging either after 2 hours.
> Is the mobo dead?
> Are there any pre-boot selftest keys? . I remember when a Dell service
> man was here for repairing an XPS1330 laptop. He was able to get
> onscreen colourpatterns by holding a key during power-up.

try booting without the battery installed.
pay close attention to the lights for the num-lock, caps-lock, scrool
lock keys for an error code. try removing and then replacing the memory
.. try removing the hard disk and booting from a bootable cd such as the
dell operating system cd.
From: paul8 on
On 8 Jun., 19:12, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
> doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
>
> If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
> anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
> charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.
>
> You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
> place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
> accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
> LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
> displays.
>
> William

Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
Trying boot without battery makes no difference.

So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
recording TV.
And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: That's Why There's No Disc...
Next: 64-bit question