From: Daave on
If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows 7
Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would allow
me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?

From: yirg.kenya on
On Jun 8, 2:49 pm, "Daave" <da...(a)example.com> wrote:
> If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows 7
> Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would allow
> me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?

You shouldn't have to do anything. It's built in. My success rate has
overall been excellent. Some apps just say they can't work in 64 bits
and won't let you install or exit right away. i-tunes complained up
front when it noticed I was on 64 bits (at least the last time I used
it, months ago) but it worked perfectly for me. MS powertoys won't let
you install the 32bit version, although that's an obvious example.
Basically, don't worry about it. Post if you have problems.

There are more problems the other way. Sometimes the 64bit ported app
doesn't work properly! It's happened to me. But I use some heavy-duty
development stuff. The solution: go back to the 32bit app on the 64bit
system! The track record for 64 bit apps has gotten a lot better as
vendors have gotten their act together. I haven't seen problems
recently. The latest release of our enterprise s/w system on the
windows side was only for 64bit. (It's used by dell.)

From: Bob Levine on
"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows 7
> Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would allow
> me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?
As long as they're reasonably new applications you shouldn't have any
problem at all. Anything certified to run under Vista or Win 7 will run
under 64 bit even it's not a native 64 bit app. I have the entire Adobe
Master Collection from CS3-C5 running and only Photoshop CS4 and CS5 along
with Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 are 64 bit apps.

Office 2007 runs fine and I've had zero problem finding drivers for
anything.

In short, don't sweat it unless you're trying to run some very old
applications. Office 2000 and earlier will have issues, for instance.

Bob

From: Christopher Muto on
Daave wrote:
> If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows 7
> Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would allow
> me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?

if you are considering 'professional' then perhaps you intend to join
the system to a windows network domain. if that is the case then talk
to the system administrator. the most problematic applications for 64
bit windows are security related, such as vpn software which may been
needed to connect remotely to the corporate network. in short, check
the vendor for each of the software packages you need to run.
From: Geoff on
On 08/06/2010 22:49, Daave wrote:
> If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows 7
> Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would allow
> me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?

it just handles that itself, no need to worry, just use it as normal
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Dead Latitude D505
Next: power supplies