From: Timothy Daniels on
The need for a memory size larger than 4 GB determines the need
for a 64-bit architecture versus a 32-bit architecture. A larger memory
is good for huge spreadsheets, huge graphics, high-def video editing, etc.,
where the amount of data held could take (or would be helped by) a
memory size greater than 4 gigs. Running several such apps at once
increases the demand for memory and could justify a memory size greater
than 4 GB. But just running several apps at once - which could very well
be simple apps like text editors, email clients, browsers, text messagers -
doesn't automatically call for lots of memory. Remember that just about
5 years ago 1GB of RAM was considered *huge* and 99% of our apps
fit into that amount of RAM quite nicely. And they still do! It's the data
that an app uses that is what determines the memory requirements. And
the only penalty for not having enough RAM to hold all the data at once
is lower processing speed as the data must be transferred back and forth
between RAM and the hard drive(s).

*TimDaniels*

"w7pro" <w7pro.4cublk(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in message news:w7pro.4cublk(a)no.email.invalid...

> The deciding factor for 32-bit versus 64-bit is whether you usually run
> a lot of apps at once and/or switch between them a lot. If you do, a
> 64-bit system would probably be better. But if you run only one or two
> programs at a time or have older software or hardware that isn't
> compatible with 64-bit processing, a 32-bit system is a good choice. The
> page at 'bit.ly/32and64bit' (http://bit.ly/32and64bit) explains the
> difference, and there's a FAQ about the two versions at the same link.
>

> Bob Levine;1220044 Wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> > If I were to purchase a Dell Inspiron 537, preinstalled with Windows
>> 7
>> > Professional (64-bit), is there a compatibility setting that would
>> allow
>> > me to install and run software intended for 32-bit systems?
>> As long as they're reasonably new applications you shouldn't have any
>> problem at all. Anything certified to run under Vista or Win 7 will run
>>
>> under 64 bit even it's not a native 64 bit app. I have the entire Adobe
>>
>> Master Collection from CS3-C5 running and only Photoshop CS4 and CS5
>> along
>> with Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 are 64 bit apps.
>>
>> Office 2007 runs fine and I've had zero problem finding drivers for
>> anything.
>>
>> In short, don't sweat it unless you're trying to run some very old
>> applications. Office 2000 and earlier will have issues, for instance.
>>
>> Bob

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Dead Latitude D505