From: Bob Villa on
On Jun 9, 2:57 am, paul8 <pauld...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Jun., 19:12, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi!
>
> > Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
> > doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
>
> > If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
> > anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
> > charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.
>
> > You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
> > place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
> > accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
> > LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
> > displays.
>
> > William
>
> Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
> charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
> Trying boot without battery makes no difference.
>
> So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
> The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
> recording TV.
> And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop

Rest in Pieces!
From: Christopher Muto on
paul8 wrote:
> On 8 Jun., 19:12, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
>> doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
>>
>> If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
>> anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
>> charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.
>>
>> You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
>> place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
>> accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
>> LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
>> displays.
>>
>> William
>
> Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
> charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
> Trying boot without battery makes no difference.
>
> So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
> The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
> recording TV.
> And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop

see my other post from earlier. also, test the tip of the ac adapter as
it may not be producing power from the tip due to a small nik or cut in
the cord. if the adapter is the problem then a replacement ac adapter
can be had for under $15 on ebay. good luck.
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/9/2010 3:57 AM, paul8 wrote:
> On 8 Jun., 19:12, "William R. Walsh"<wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
>> doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
>>
>> If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
>> anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
>> charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.
>>
>> You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
>> place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
>> accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
>> LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
>> displays.
>>
>> William
>
> Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
> charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
> Trying boot without battery makes no difference.
>
> So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
> The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
> recording TV.
> And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop

If you are within driving distance of ZIP 01451 (central Massachusetts),
I have one or two working D505 systems, along with a lot of other laptop
gear (mostly Dell and IBM/Lenovo). I can do a quick and inexpensive
replacement of the dead chassis, swapping the hard drive, memory,
optical drive and any wifi card to one that works. Or, if its the power
supply, I have a few of those, too.

Not sure if I can recommend mailing parts for you to do it yourself,
because it is unclear whether the problem is power supply or motherboard.

.... Ben Myers
From: paul8 on
On 9 Jun., 15:21, Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> paul8 wrote:
> > On 8 Jun., 19:12, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi!
>
> >> Pop the battery and try it again without the battery in place. If that
> >> doesn't help, there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
>
> >> If the battery is especially depleted, it may take the charger
> >> anywhere from a few hours to overnight before it can start the fast
> >> charge. Or it may not be able to charge the battery at all any longer.
>
> >> You're probably speaking of the pre-boot system assessment that takes
> >> place before the diagnostics partition is started. This can be
> >> accessed by pressing F12 at startup to get the boot menu. On my
> >> LatD800, the pre-boot assessment test runs two color bar test pattern
> >> displays.
>
> >> William
>
> > Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
> > charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
> > Trying boot without battery makes no difference.
>
> > So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
> > The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
> > recording TV.
> > And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop
>
> see my other post from earlier.  also, test the tip of the ac adapter as
> it may not be producing power from the tip due to a small nik or cut in
> the cord.  if the adapter is the problem then a replacement ac adapter
> can be had for under $15 on ebay.  good luck.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

It pays being patient. I found an opportunity to try charging the
battery in another Latitude. After a couple of days, the battery get
fully charged.
Now I can see that my D505 works normally on battery power. The
problem is that it does not takes charge from the power adapter.
I have tried both a PA10 and a PA12 adapter.
Are there any other possibility ?
I would be unhappy to have to quit my D505 just because of a charging
problem.....
From: JayB on
sounds like the connector is broken on the motherboard where the a/c
adapter plugs in.

paul8 wrote:
> It pays being patient. I found an opportunity to try charging the
> battery in another Latitude. After a couple of days, the battery get
> fully charged.
> Now I can see that my D505 works normally on battery power. The
> problem is that it does not takes charge from the power adapter.
> I have tried both a PA10 and a PA12 adapter.
> Are there any other possibility ?
> I would be unhappy to have to quit my D505 just because of a charging
> problem.....
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: That's Why There's No Disc...