From: Ben Myers on
On 6/12/2010 8:55 AM, JayB wrote:
> sounds like the connector is broken on the motherboard where the a/c
> adapter plugs in.
>

> paul8 wrote:
>> It pays being patient. I found an opportunity to try charging the
>> battery in another Latitude. After a couple of days, the battery get
>> fully charged.
>> Now I can see that my D505 works normally on battery power. The
>> problem is that it does not takes charge from the power adapter.
>> I have tried both a PA10 and a PA12 adapter.
>> Are there any other possibility ?
>> I would be unhappy to have to quit my D505 just because of a charging
>> problem.....

Broken power connector on the motherboard is the most likely
possibility. Power connectors fracture because laptop makers (all
brands) simply solder them to the motherboard, rather than anchoring
them more solidly. Solder is soft, and after so many insertions and
removals of the power connector, the solder fractures, leaving no
connection or, at best, a sporadic one. If automobiles were made to the
same quality standard, you'be driving along and one of the wheels would
fall off. (Oops! Wasn't that Toyota?)

If you want a replacement D505 motherboard, it is yours for $50 plus
shipping (around $10). I have not done extensive testing on the D505's
in my collection, but a number of them powered up to the BIOS. I have a
simple, but effective test procedure to make sure laptop motherboards
work 100% before I send them out... Ben Myers

From: paul8 on
On 12 Jun., 15:02, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 8:55 AM, JayB wrote:
>
> > sounds like the connector is broken on the motherboard where the a/c
> > adapter plugs in.
>
> > paul8 wrote:
> >> It pays being patient. I found an opportunity to try charging the
> >> battery in another Latitude. After a couple of days, the battery get
> >> fully charged.
> >> Now I can see that my D505 works normally on battery power. The
> >> problem is that it does not takes charge from the power adapter.
> >> I have tried both a PA10 and a PA12 adapter.
> >> Are there any other possibility ?
> >> I would be unhappy to have to quit my D505 just because of a charging
> >> problem.....
>
> Broken power connector on the motherboard is the most likely
> possibility.  Power connectors fracture because laptop makers (all
> brands) simply solder them to the motherboard, rather than anchoring
> them more solidly.  Solder is soft, and after so many insertions and
> removals of the power connector, the solder fractures, leaving no
> connection or, at best, a sporadic one.  If automobiles were made to the
> same quality standard, you'be driving along and one of the wheels would
> fall off.  (Oops!  Wasn't that Toyota?)
>
> If you want a replacement D505 motherboard, it is yours for $50 plus
> shipping (around $10).  I have not done extensive testing on the D505's
> in my collection, but a number of them powered up to the BIOS.  I have a
> simple, but effective test procedure to make sure laptop motherboards
> work 100% before I send them out... Ben Myers

It is valuable to have a clear picture of the problem. Many thanks.
But I live in a small european country without any private Dell
repair.
If I contact the local Dell representative, they are only interested
in getting me to buy a new laptop.

So my plan is to open the case and try to solder some electrical
connection.
If it ends with a disaster, I could buy another 4year old laptop for
less than $100.
No panic....
From: Christopher Muto on
paul8 wrote:
> On 12 Jun., 15:02, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> On 6/12/2010 8:55 AM, JayB wrote:
>>
>>> sounds like the connector is broken on the motherboard where the a/c
>>> adapter plugs in.
>> Broken power connector on the motherboard is the most likely
>> possibility. Power connectors fracture because laptop makers (all
>> brands) simply solder them to the motherboard, rather than anchoring
>> them more solidly. Solder is soft, and after so many insertions and
>> removals of the power connector, the solder fractures, leaving no
>> connection or, at best, a sporadic one. If automobiles were made to the
>> same quality standard, you'be driving along and one of the wheels would
>> fall off. (Oops! Wasn't that Toyota?)
>>
>> If you want a replacement D505 motherboard, it is yours for $50 plus
>> shipping (around $10). I have not done extensive testing on the D505's
>> in my collection, but a number of them powered up to the BIOS. I have a
>> simple, but effective test procedure to make sure laptop motherboards
>> work 100% before I send them out... Ben Myers
>
> It is valuable to have a clear picture of the problem. Many thanks.
> But I live in a small european country without any private Dell
> repair.
> If I contact the local Dell representative, they are only interested
> in getting me to buy a new laptop.
>
> So my plan is to open the case and try to solder some electrical
> connection.
> If it ends with a disaster, I could buy another 4year old laptop for
> less than $100.
> No panic....

go to support.dell.com and click on manuals on the right hand side of
the screen. navigate to your model and then look at the 'service
manual' for instructions on how to remove the motherboard.
you can purchase new replacement ac connectors for the motherboard on
ebay.
and you can find many videos on youtube that shows how to desolder the
old connenctor and solder the new.
but this repair takes a considerable amount of time and you have to ask
yourself if it is worth it and if you have the soldering skills to do it
(not that you can make the motherboard any worse since it is already
worthless).
good luck and let us know how it works out.
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> paul8 wrote:

>>> Broken power connector on the motherboard is the most likely
>>> possibility. Power connectors fracture because laptop makers (all
>>> brands) simply solder them to the motherboard, rather than anchoring
>>> them more solidly. Solder is soft, and after so many insertions and
>>> removals of the power connector, the solder fractures, leaving no
>>> connection or, at best, a sporadic one. If automobiles were made to the
>>> same quality standard, you'be driving along and one of the wheels would
>>> fall off. (Oops! Wasn't that Toyota?)
>>>
>>> If you want a replacement D505 motherboard, it is yours for $50 plus
>>> shipping (around $10). I have not done extensive testing on the D505's
>>> in my collection, but a number of them powered up to the BIOS. I have a
>>> simple, but effective test procedure to make sure laptop motherboards
>>> work 100% before I send them out... Ben Myers
>>
>> It is valuable to have a clear picture of the problem. Many thanks.
>> But I live in a small european country without any private Dell
>> repair.
>> If I contact the local Dell representative, they are only interested
>> in getting me to buy a new laptop.
>>
>> So my plan is to open the case and try to solder some electrical
>> connection.
>> If it ends with a disaster, I could buy another 4year old laptop for
>> less than $100.
>> No panic....
>
> go to support.dell.com and click on manuals on the right hand side of
> the screen. navigate to your model and then look at the 'service
> manual' for instructions on how to remove the motherboard.
> you can purchase new replacement ac connectors for the motherboard on ebay.
> and you can find many videos on youtube that shows how to desolder the
> old connenctor and solder the new.
> but this repair takes a considerable amount of time and you have to ask
> yourself if it is worth it and if you have the soldering skills to do it
> (not that you can make the motherboard any worse since it is already
> worthless).
> good luck and let us know how it works out.

the manuals link is actually on the left hand side of the screen at
support.dell.com.
here are a couple of relevant youtube videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoT9XVn5Y2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_n9K-14_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOVOLOW1Hc
sometimes your existing jack is fine and just needs to be soldered, but
other times the jack itself is actually broken and need to be replaced.
either way i would replace it since the jack only costs a few dollars
and it takes so much work to removed/replace the motherboard you might
as well replace it.
From: Tekkie® on
paul8 posted for all of us...

> On 9 Jun., 15:21, Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > paul8 wrote:

> > > Still no sign of life after one night with the charger on, -and the
> > > charger is not warm as it use to be when charging.
> > > Trying boot without battery makes no difference.
> >
> > > So I am prepared to arrange this good old laptops burial.
> > > The 40GB hard disk is OK. It will be used as external USB disk for
> > > recording TV.
> > > And the single 512MB ram will find a place in another laptop
> >
> > see my other post from earlier.  also, test the tip of the ac adapter as
> > it may not be producing power from the tip due to a small nik or cut in
> > the cord.  if the adapter is the problem then a replacement ac adapter
> > can be had for under $15 on ebay.  good luck.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
> >
> > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> It pays being patient. I found an opportunity to try charging the
> battery in another Latitude. After a couple of days, the battery get
> fully charged.
> Now I can see that my D505 works normally on battery power. The
> problem is that it does not takes charge from the power adapter.
> I have tried both a PA10 and a PA12 adapter.
> Are there any other possibility ?
> I would be unhappy to have to quit my D505 just because of a charging
> problem.....

m/b is shot - common problem

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
First  |  Prev  |