From: Charlie Groh on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:35:49 -0600, Better Info <binfo(a)someisp.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:33:35 +1000, Troy Piggins <usenet-0911(a)piggo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>* Better Info wrote :

>>> I have no need to try to pawn off bad photography bounded in an
>>> instructional book to try to make all that wasted time and effort with a
>>> camera worth it. My photography stands on its own merit. I don't have to
>>> trick anyone into buying it.
>>
>>What if everyone was downloading your photography for free off
>>binary groups when you were trying to sell it?
>
>Then I stop selling it publicly, just as I have for that very reason.
>They're now by private sale only, in limited editions. It's not my loss,
>it's everyone else's loss. I could care less if I sell any more of my
>photography. I already earned more than I can ever use in a lifetime.
>
>Judging by those photography instructional books, the photography world
>would be a much better place if those authors pulled their books
>permanently. They're not even worth stealing. If it ain't worth stealing,
>it sure as hell ain't worth buying.

....and he, as I, "could not" care less.

Dimwit.

cg
From: Phred on
In article <4b06291c$0$6093$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>, "Mr.T" <MrT(a)home> wrote:

>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <udp9g51gls0app9dckqduoj8kusu45bigs(a)4ax.com>, Better Info
><binfo(a)someisp.net> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > I already earned more than I can ever use in a lifetime.
>>
>> Bullshit!
>
>Not everyone is greedy, but it would certainly be "bullshit" to most people
>unfortunately.

It wasn't a comment on ethics; it was a comment on credibility.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Teraposa Lunodas on
What if everyone was downloading your photography for free off
binary groups when you were trying to sell it?

PS - I didn't pay to see his photography, I paid for his
photoshop expertise. I just reckon I didn't get all of it.
From: sobriquet on
On 19 nov, 04:47, Troy Piggins <usenet-0...(a)piggo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> there's actually better PS books out there but they get drowned
> out by Kelby overload...
>
> Well, my fears have been realised.
>
> Books received quite promptly from Amazon. Good service, first
> time I've dealt with them. But...
>
> The Kelby book. Very disappointed. The layout of the pages
> themselves is quite appealing at first glance, plenty of images
> to display what he's talking about. But when I think about it,
> that's one thing that annoys me about it. Too many images. I
> mean, if he's giving a step by step on something, does he really
> need to give an image to show him clicking the menu button
> described in the text? Waste of space where he could add more
> text/info/tips.
>
> That brings me to my next annoyance. Every new chapter title
> takes up 2 full pages. One shows a photo, the other some text.
> The text is the chapter title, then the rest is the explanation
> of how he came up with his "clever" chapter title. He seems to
> have this thing where his chapter titles are songs or movies or
> whatever that have words or something relevant to what that
> chapter is really about. eg there's a chapter on Bridge so he
> calls it "London Bridge". That's fine, cute, whatever, but we
> don't need a page explaining why you called it that. We get it.
> Just put a paragraph about this little nuance in your intro or
> something and give us more meat in the content of the book.
>
> Next point. Give the man meat. I bought this book wanting to
> learn uber-tips from the Photoshop guru. But in reality, it looks
> to me like he's taken the easy road. Quite a few pages (like 10
> or so) on the unsharp mask. Not really cool things like using the
> unsharp mask with edge masking or surface masking or anything,
> just 10 (or so) pages on different combinations of amount,
> radius, and threshold.
>
> Some of the cooler tips he's posted actually come from "friends"
> of his showing him the tip. I like that he's passed it on, and
> has acknowledged his mates, but I want to see more of his cool
> stuff. I don't reckon he's sharing it all. Can't be.
>
> The first third or so of the book talks only about Bridge and
> Camera Raw. Too much. Reckon you could split the book up, have
> another thinner book on those, or each of them, sell them
> cheaper. Gimme a book on CS4 Photoshop please, not the other
> stuff, that's why I got Lightroom.
>
> Summary - I reckon the title should contain the word "Beginners"
> in it. I'm not pro PS user, only had it for a couple of months.
> But I picked up much of what was in the book by playing with it
> and reading some online sites.
>
> I'll keep the book as a reference for some of the tips in there,
> but reckon if I tore out the pages that contained stuff that was
> either obvious or wasted space, I wouldn't be left with much
> inside the covers.
>
> I'm just starting the Lightroom book, but initial flick through
> looks like it goes into much more detail, which is what I want.

Books are moronic and dull. Try tutorial video's instead:

http://thepiratebay.org/search/lynda%20photoshop/0/99/0