From: DaBigBuddha on

System Specs:
New Built with Gigabyte EP43-UD3L mobo
E6300 CPU
GeForce 9800 GPU
Ultra 550W PS
1 IDE 80 GB HDD
2 GB DDR2 RAM

Here's the skinny. I've set it up, more than once, stripped it down
and started over. I'm stuck. No matter what I've tried, Here's what I
get.

Gigabyte LOGO screen, then to Windows Crashed screen. (You know, the
one that says "windows was not shut down properly...blah blah blah...)
No matter which option I pick (start normally, safe mode, etc) the
result is the same. Returns to the Gigabyte Logo screen and ....rinse
and repeat. I've been at this all day and no one's been able to help.
Don't make me go to the Geek Squad, please! I'm tired and at the point
of exasperation. A little help?

From: davy on

Have you tried going into Safe-mode and selecting 'Boot from last good
configuration that worked'?

Once you are able to get it to boot try doing a Check disc scan,
scanning first for File systems errors, and then do a second scan by
clicking 'Scan for bad sectors' just in case the hard drive is going
bad. You'll find this in C drive properties, you can do both scans at
the same time by clicking both boxes... note 'Scan for bad sectors' may
take ages, which is why I like to do them separate.

IF THIS 'IS' THE CASE OF THE HARD DRIVE GOING BAD THEN IT WOULD BE
WISE TO BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILES AS SOON AS YOU CAN.
Then a scan for Malware and Viruses won't do any harm, in Safe Mode if
possible would be better, some programs may not work in Safe-mode. You
could always try using the drive in another machine just to see if it
boot or not, but do remember to back up any important files ASAP just in
case.

Happy New Year Everyone.

davy

From: DaBigBuddha on

Thank you, Davy, but yes. The problem is, that it won't boot into any
form of windows at all, no matter which prompt I select at that screen.
I have tried them all. Start windows normally, start in safe mode, safe
mode with prompt, all of them.
To me, this is a strange situation, because everything is pretty much
right out of the box. I inserted the hard drive into another machine,
and that machine recognized the hard drive just fine. I was able to
browse the files and open things from it. So, I don't think it's the
hard drive. I thought that might be the case at first, but I didn't
think a bad hard drive would cause and endless reboot sequence.
I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I have heard tales
of "flashing the bios" or something like that and "resetting the cmos"
but I don't know if those would work in this situation.
Any more ideas?

From: SteveH on
DaBigBuddha wrote:
> Thank you, Davy, but yes. The problem is, that it won't boot into any
> form of windows at all, no matter which prompt I select at that
> screen. I have tried them all. Start windows normally, start in safe
> mode, safe mode with prompt, all of them.
> To me, this is a strange situation, because everything is pretty much
> right out of the box. I inserted the hard drive into another machine,
> and that machine recognized the hard drive just fine. I was able to
> browse the files and open things from it. So, I don't think it's the
> hard drive. I thought that might be the case at first, but I didn't
> think a bad hard drive would cause and endless reboot sequence.
> I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I have heard tales
> of "flashing the bios" or something like that and "resetting the cmos"
> but I don't know if those would work in this situation.
> Any more ideas?

So the HDD already had Windows installed on it? (if not, ignore the rest of
this)

If so, there's no guarantee (unless it's just the same board being replaced)
that it will work, Windows may not have the correct drivers etc, for this
board and just not play. And the fact that the HDD works on another board
proves nothing, you may just have ben luckier with that board, or presumably
you wasn't booting from it, just looking at it, in which case of course it
should work.

I reckon you need to boot from a Windows CD and do a repair install, if not,
do the sensible thing and do a clean install.

--
SteveH

From: Dave C. on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 10:00:34 GMT
"SteveH" <steve.houghREMOVE(a)THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> DaBigBuddha wrote:
> > Thank you, Davy, but yes. The problem is, that it won't boot into
> > any form of windows at all, no matter which prompt I select at that
> > screen. I have tried them all. Start windows normally, start in
> > safe mode, safe mode with prompt, all of them.
> > To me, this is a strange situation, because everything is pretty
> > much right out of the box. I inserted the hard drive into another
> > machine, and that machine recognized the hard drive just fine. I
> > was able to browse the files and open things from it. So, I don't
> > think it's the hard drive. I thought that might be the case at
> > first, but I didn't think a bad hard drive would cause and endless
> > reboot sequence. I am wondering if there is anything else I can
> > do. I have heard tales of "flashing the bios" or something like
> > that and "resetting the cmos" but I don't know if those would work
> > in this situation. Any more ideas?
>
> So the HDD already had Windows installed on it? (if not, ignore the
> rest of this)
>
> If so, there's no guarantee (unless it's just the same board being
> replaced) that it will work, Windows may not have the correct drivers
> etc, for this board and just not play. And the fact that the HDD
> works on another board proves nothing, you may just have ben luckier
> with that board, or presumably you wasn't booting from it, just
> looking at it, in which case of course it should work.
>
> I reckon you need to boot from a Windows CD and do a repair install,
> if not, do the sensible thing and do a clean install.
>
> --
> SteveH

I'm betting you nailed it, steveh. The giveaway is the 80GB disk
size. Can you even buy a drive that small anymore? If so, why would
you? It would probably be more expensive than a disk several times
that size. -Dave