From: shegeek72 on
I'm planning to create a Vista/Win7 dual-boot on a system that
currently runs Vista (32-bit) and need feedback on which of two HDs to
use. The 1T has Vista installed and currently has 694gb free. The
second HD has 465gb of 500gb free (both are Seagate). I've heard that
it's better to put the OS's of a dual-boot on separate drives, if
possible. True?
From: SteveH on
shegeek72 wrote:
> I'm planning to create a Vista/Win7 dual-boot on a system that
> currently runs Vista (32-bit) and need feedback on which of two HDs to
> use. The 1T has Vista installed and currently has 694gb free. The
> second HD has 465gb of 500gb free (both are Seagate). I've heard that
> it's better to put the OS's of a dual-boot on separate drives, if
> possible. True?

Why not just get rid of Vista?

--
SteveH

From: shegeek72 on
On Jan 4, 2:56 am, "SteveH" <steve.houghREM...(a)THISblueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> Why not just get rid of Vista?
Good question.

I'm a freelance computer tech (repair, trouble-shoot, build) and like
to have the OS's around that my clients are using, so I can test/
trouble-shoot on my own systems, if need be (I also have an XP box).

Also, perhaps I'm old-school, but I like to wait until the first SP
has been released before committing mission critical systems to a new
OS.

From: peter on
if I were you ,and I have done this. I would disconnect the Vista drive
and install W7 on the free partition on the other drive. This will not
overwrite the MBR of the Vista installation and will not create a dual boot
start up screen when you boot up. If your mobo bios is capable of this
you basically push F12 upon boot and a small BIOS screen will show
asking which HD to boot from.
If you wish to have the dual boot screen don't disconnect the Vista HD and
still install W7 onto the free partition on the other drive. This will overwrite
the
Vista MBR and be more work to undo.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: SteveH on
peter wrote:
> if I were you ,and I have done this. I would disconnect the Vista
> drive and install W7 on the free partition on the other drive. This will
> not
> overwrite the MBR of the Vista installation and will not create a
> dual boot start up screen when you boot up. If your mobo bios is
> capable of this you basically push F12 upon boot and a small BIOS screen
> will show
> asking which HD to boot from.
> If you wish to have the dual boot screen don't disconnect the Vista
> HD and still install W7 onto the free partition on the other drive.
> This will overwrite the
> Vista MBR and be more work to undo.
>
> peter
>

> "shegeek72" <karmictaragem(a)2die4.com> wrote in message
>> On Jan 4, 2:56 am, "SteveH" <steve.houghREM...(a)THISblueyonder.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> Why not just get rid of Vista?
>> Good question.
>>
>> I'm a freelance computer tech (repair, trouble-shoot, build) and like
>> to have the OS's around that my clients are using, so I can test/
>> trouble-shoot on my own systems, if need be (I also have an XP box).
>>
>> Also, perhaps I'm old-school, but I like to wait until the first SP
>> has been released before committing mission critical systems to a new
>> OS.

Or..
He could get one of these, if all the drives are SATA:
http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=676

And put each OS on its own drive, and swap them as needed.
I've got one for some storage drives, and it works fine.

--
SteveH

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2