From: Svend Olaf Mikkelsen on
On 28 Aug 2007 19:01:13 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Indeed. So this problem is likely the hardware issue I described earlier.
>
>With this Linux users could be safe, placing a partition start at
>sector 268435455 seems to be the only way to trigger the problem.
>
>To blame for this mess are the disk manufacturers and the bridge-chip
>manufacturers for being careless.
>
>Arno

It seems as Linux aligns reads relative to the beginning of the
device, so the most common partition location of all, sector 63, has
the problem:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=63.bin bs=512 count=1 skip=268435392

reads sector 268435455 wrong from this Seagate disk in this USB case
with the Prolific PL-2506 chip without any warning.

It may be possible to make some theories about the read alignment from
the previous output with bad sector in sector 268435454.
--
Svend Olaf
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Svend Olaf Mikkelsen <svolaf(a)partitionsupport.com> wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2007 19:01:13 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>>Indeed. So this problem is likely the hardware issue I described earlier.
>>
>>With this Linux users could be safe, placing a partition start at
>>sector 268435455 seems to be the only way to trigger the problem.
>>
>>To blame for this mess are the disk manufacturers and the bridge-chip
>>manufacturers for being careless.
>>
>>Arno

> It seems as Linux aligns reads relative to the beginning of the
> device,

Yes, that would make sense.

> so the most common partition location of all, sector 63, has
> the problem:

> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=63.bin bs=512 count=1 skip=268435392

> reads sector 268435455 wrong from this Seagate disk in this USB case
> with the Prolific PL-2506 chip without any warning.

Ok, what a pity. Seems I will have to test all my external
USB HDDs...

> It may be possible to make some theories about the read alignment from
> the previous output with bad sector in sector 268435454.

Agreed. But not today. At least not for me.

Arno
From: Folkert Rienstra on
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote in message news:46d3e857.1434062(a)news.inet.tele.dk
> On 27 Aug 2007 14:50:38 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Come to think of it, it may be that Linux typically reads (and
> > writes?) 1kB or 2kB aligned on an address divisible by 2 or 4
> > respectively. Maybe only on SCSI, maybe on USB storage, maybe
> > generally. On a fast browse through the sources of 2.6.18.8 I did not
> > find anything relevant.
> >
> > This may mean that testing the presence of the problem under Linux
> > could need a single-secor write (if Linux does that). If Linux
> > allways does at least 1kB accesses aligned on an even address, then
> > the problem would not manifest itself. If it only does this on
> > reading, the problem could well be present for a single-sector write.
> >
> > Can you overwrite the critical sector with dd and then see
> > whether it changed?
> >
> > Arno
>
> Reply no. 2.
>
> A variant of the problem can be seen in Linux.
>
> I made a partition on the USB Seagate disk beginning at sector 268435455:
>
> Disk: 4 Cylinders: 19457 Heads: 255 Sectors: 63 MB: 152625
>
> --PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB --Start CHS- ---End CHS-- BS CHS
> 0 1 61 268435455 44141250 21553 16709# 85 16 19456*254 63 OK
>
> Then in Linux I did:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.bin bs=512 count=1 skip=268435455
>
> and
>
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=sda1.bin bs=512 count=1
>
> The file sda.bin has the correct content, while

> sda1.bin has wrong content, and is different between different attempts.
> This indicates that the sector was actually not read, without any warnings.

Well, /something/ was read which explains the "without any warnings".