From: ikzienietwathierstaat on
I have a sitecom wireless router (WL-018). I have purchased a netdisk
(nexstar LS) with ximeta software.
With a direct ethernet cable connection all is fine. However, when attached
to the wireless router the disk is not recognized (offline error 0000FF14).

The ximeta support desk has eliminated several options and has indicated the
it might be that my router can not handle the LPX protocol (or filters it).
Sitecom support has not answered.

Does anyone have a solution for the above problem

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously ikzienietwathierstaat <toettoet(a)toet.tk> wrote:
> I have a sitecom wireless router (WL-018). I have purchased a netdisk
> (nexstar LS) with ximeta software.
> With a direct ethernet cable connection all is fine. However, when attached
> to the wireless router the disk is not recognized (offline error 0000FF14).

> The ximeta support desk has eliminated several options and has indicated the
> it might be that my router can not handle the LPX protocol (or filters it).
> Sitecom support has not answered.

> Does anyone have a solution for the above problem

Forst, LPX is not an Internet protocol, so nobody is obliged to
offer any support for it. However passing through everything between
the dievices that should be able to communicate should work. Unless LPX
violates the current Internet standards. In that case it is possible that
these packes get thrown away as defective. Easiest solution is probably
tho get an addiditonal ethernet swicch and connect over that.

Arno

From: Nik Simpson on
Arno Wagner wrote:
> Previously ikzienietwathierstaat <toettoet(a)toet.tk> wrote:
>> I have a sitecom wireless router (WL-018). I have purchased a netdisk
>> (nexstar LS) with ximeta software.
>> With a direct ethernet cable connection all is fine. However, when attached
>> to the wireless router the disk is not recognized (offline error 0000FF14).
>
>> The ximeta support desk has eliminated several options and has indicated the
>> it might be that my router can not handle the LPX protocol (or filters it).
>> Sitecom support has not answered.
>
>> Does anyone have a solution for the above problem
>
> Forst, LPX is not an Internet protocol, so nobody is obliged to
> offer any support for it. However passing through everything between
> the dievices that should be able to communicate should work. Unless LPX
> violates the current Internet standards. In that case it is possible that
> these packes get thrown away as defective. Easiest solution is probably
> tho get an addiditonal ethernet swicch and connect over that.
>
> Arno

My experience with LPX on a media server that I have is that it's very
susceptible to timeouts and congestion, on a clean Ethernet segment it
works just fine. My bet is that wireless connection is just not good
enough for LPX and the device is timing out.

--
Nik Simpson
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Nik Simpson <n_simpson(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>> Previously ikzienietwathierstaat <toettoet(a)toet.tk> wrote:
>>> I have a sitecom wireless router (WL-018). I have purchased a netdisk
>>> (nexstar LS) with ximeta software.
>>> With a direct ethernet cable connection all is fine. However, when attached
>>> to the wireless router the disk is not recognized (offline error 0000FF14).
>>
>>> The ximeta support desk has eliminated several options and has indicated the
>>> it might be that my router can not handle the LPX protocol (or filters it).
>>> Sitecom support has not answered.
>>
>>> Does anyone have a solution for the above problem
>>
>> Forst, LPX is not an Internet protocol, so nobody is obliged to
>> offer any support for it. However passing through everything between
>> the dievices that should be able to communicate should work. Unless LPX
>> violates the current Internet standards. In that case it is possible that
>> these packes get thrown away as defective. Easiest solution is probably
>> tho get an addiditonal ethernet swicch and connect over that.
>>
>> Arno
>>

> My experience with LPX on a media server that I have is that it's very
> susceptible to timeouts and congestion, on a clean Ethernet segment it
> works just fine. My bet is that wireless connection is just not good
> enough for LPX and the device is timing out.

Now that you mention it: Is this an Ethernet-level protocol? Then
it may not go past a router anyways, unless the router is configured
as Ethernet bridge (which usually does not make any sense at all...)

Arno

From: Nik Simpson on
Arno Wagner wrote:

>> My experience with LPX on a media server that I have is that it's very
>> susceptible to timeouts and congestion, on a clean Ethernet segment it
>> works just fine. My bet is that wireless connection is just not good
>> enough for LPX and the device is timing out.
>
> Now that you mention it: Is this an Ethernet-level protocol? Then
> it may not go past a router anyways, unless the router is configured
> as Ethernet bridge (which usually does not make any sense at all...)
>
> Arno

No, it's an IP or UDP protocol, so unless the wireless gateway is
blocking the ports it wants to use it shouldn't have trouble going
through the WAP. I found on my system that the connection became
unstable if the network was very busy which suggest that it just doesn't
like a congested or slow network.

--
Nik Simpson