From: JMR on
Hello,

I have installed 11.2 and have problems at boot; i think there is
something wrong with that partition and i must boot with a floppy coming
from another distro. It is in ext3.
Once the os is loaded i have no problems

May be i could avoid this by choosing another place than the root
partition as presently.

The boot loader configurator suggest other possibilities : mbr,
extended partition...

What is the best to get the least startup problems ?

Thank you.

JMR
From: Jeremy Illges on
On Dec 11, 6:43 am, houghi <hou...(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> JMR wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I have installed 11.2 and have problems at boot; i think there is
> > something wrong with that partition and i must boot with a floppy coming
> > from another distro. It is in ext3.
> > Once the os is loaded i have no problems
>
> > May be i could avoid this by choosing another place than the root
> > partition as presently.
>
> > The boot loader configurator suggest other possibilities :  mbr,
> > extended partition...
>
> > What is the best to get the least startup problems ?
>
> I never had any problems with the default. As you do have them the best
> thing is to try them out and see what happens. Then use whatever works
> best for you.
>
> houghi
> --
> You can have my keyboard ...
>                       if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

The best location to install GRUB is the MBR. You can install it on
the root partition if you use another boot loader like System
Commander or Acronis Boot Manager. Go to Yast/System/Boot Loader and
select Propose New Configuration from the bottom right drop down
menu. This should repair the system.
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <hft9i9$8u4$1(a)aioe.org>, on 12/11/2009
at 12:14 PM, JMR <jmr(a)nowhere.be> said:

>What is the best to get the least startup problems ?

Putting grub in /boot has always worked well for me. But whatever floats
your boat; nobody but you can know what is best for you and your setup.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: JMR on
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz a �crit :
> In <hft9i9$8u4$1(a)aioe.org>, on 12/11/2009
> at 12:14 PM, JMR <jmr(a)nowhere.be> said:
>
>> What is the best to get the least startup problems ?
>
> Putting grub in /boot has always worked well for me. But whatever floats
> your boat; nobody but you can know what is best for you and your setup.

I just wonder, in case of problems with suse as i have now, whether i
could boot easier the other os if the bootloader is elsewhere (eg in the
mbr); now it is unavailable and i have to boot with a floppy (happy to
still have one...)

JMR