From: DanP on
On 22 Apr, 04:39, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Canon.  Will they release a compact non-mirrored, interchangeable lens
> camera?
> Nikon.  Will they release a compact non-mirrored camera and/or an ,
> high megapixel FF camera that doesn't cost $8000?
> Olympus.  Will they dump DSLRs?
> Pentax.  Will they release a FF camera, will they survive?
> Sony.  Will they release a non-boring entry level camera?
> Fuji.  Will they release a new pro DSLR or any interchangeable lens
> camera?
> Sigma.  Does anyone care?
> Samsung.  Will they make a dent in 4/3rds sales?

Is that troll bait?

DanP
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-22 01:00:32 -0700, "Ray Shafranski" <me(a)privacy.net> said:

> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Canon. Will they release a compact non-mirrored, interchangeable lens
>> camera?

Perhaps, someday. Pigs have already flown. And perhaps the Mariners
will win the pennant this year.

>> Nikon. Will they release a compact non-mirrored camera and/or an ,
>> high megapixel FF camera that doesn't cost $8000?

Yes to both, if you mean by "high megapixel" to be 18 megapixels or so.

>> Olympus. Will they dump DSLRs?

No. The E-PL1, while mirrorless, is still a DSLR. It shows the future
for Olympus.

>> Pentax. Will they release a FF camera, will they survive?

Does anybody really care?

>> Sony. Will they release a non-boring entry level camera?

No.

>> Fuji. Will they release a new pro DSLR or any interchangeable lens
>> camera?

Maybe.

>> Sigma. Does anyone care?

No one cares.

>> Samsung. Will they make a dent in 4/3rds sales?

No one cares.

> The lifting mirror and the pentaprism/pentamirror are relics of film days
> and should be replaced on all DSLR designs.

Not so much a relic of film but of the need for clear, bright, optical
viewfinders. You are not going to get as good a picture holding the
camera out in front of you (as you must do with the Olympus E-PL1, for
example) as you will with the camera braced by your face. Mirrorless is
great for the photography masses who really don't care about picture
quality, but it has a ways to go before it is usable by pros. So, I
would say the lifting mirror and pentaprism will disappear on consumer
DSLRs soon, but it is going to be on pro cameras for awhile yet.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Mxsmanic on
RichA writes:

> Canon. Will they release a compact non-mirrored, interchangeable lens
> camera?
> Nikon. Will they release a compact non-mirrored camera and/or an ,
> high megapixel FF camera that doesn't cost $8000?

What kind of SLR doesn't have a mirror?
From: George Kerby on

On 4/22/10 11:49 AM, in article q1v0t51c5ov2ienaettm7lpq8uej5ilfgp(a)4ax.com,
"Joel Connor" <myemail(a)myserver.com> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2010 16:37:39 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>> Ray Shafranski <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> The lifting mirror and the pentaprism/pentamirror are relics of film days
>>> and should be replaced on all DSLR designs.
>>
>> Gee, you're so smart. I wonder why millions of people don't listen to
>> you and simply abandon SLRs.
>
> That must be sarcasm because millions do. The smart ones do today, anyway.
> Check to see how many high-quality P&S cameras are bought compared to how
> many cameras are bought with last century's archaic SLR design. The numbers
> bought and used make the non-SLR designs the clear winners by a huge
> margin.
>
> Some of them even rival the print quality of up to 13x18" in size when
> pitted against a medium-format sensored Hasselblad. Something that DSLRs
> can't even do.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

OH LOOKIE!

The Troll has morphed another sock!

"Doctor, grab the Radiation Treatment. The cancer is spreading!"

From: Pete on
On 2010-04-22 18:48:08 +0100, C J Campbell said:

> On 2010-04-22 01:00:32 -0700, "Ray Shafranski" <me(a)privacy.net> said:
>
>> <>
>> The lifting mirror and the pentaprism/pentamirror are relics of film days
>> and should be replaced on all DSLR designs.
>
> Not so much a relic of film but of the need for clear, bright, optical
> viewfinders. You are not going to get as good a picture holding the
> camera out in front of you (as you must do with the Olympus E-PL1, for
> example) as you will with the camera braced by your face. Mirrorless is
> great for the photography masses who really don't care about picture
> quality, but it has a ways to go before it is usable by pros. So, I
> would say the lifting mirror and pentaprism will disappear on consumer
> DSLRs soon, but it is going to be on pro cameras for awhile yet.

Yes, and until sensors plus software can exceed the night-adaptive
vision of the human eye, framing of very low light shots will remain a
difficulty without an optical finder.

--
Pete