From: Blair on
Hi,

I have Microsoft Office 2003 Professional and have been using it
happily for some months now, but recently I started getting the above
message when trying to open a document through explorer.

A search produced the two common causes - Norton Anti Virus (don't
have it, got AVG) and Templates in the startup folder (dont have any
templates in the startup folder). I thought that it might be norton
causing the problem from beyond the grave as a 30 day trial had been
on my laptop when i bought it, but i uninstalled it on the first day.
I ran the symnrt.exe tool anyway and manually searched for the
offending dll (officeav.dll) but nothing.

The other thing that happens when Word is opened, either directly
through the program file/icon - or by double clicking a document, is
the Windows Installer is kicked off (msiexec). It comes up preparing
to install then disapears - but continues to run in the background
(taskmanager -> processes -> msiexec.exe - using no cpu time and about
6 megs of memory). The computer slows to a crawl at this point, and
once the process is killed manually gets back up to speed. Word
appears to work fine once past this initial stumble.

I am now assuming that this install process that is being triggered is
causing the dialog box error message. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled, repaired, cried with frustration, deleted the normal.dot
template, applied all the SPs (my copy of office pro was vanilla -
first release), I installed the msiexec cleanup tool and cleaned out
the Office Pro entry (there was also an Office Standard entry, which I
deleted with joy thinking this would solve my problem, it didn't). All
to no avail...

I have now run out of ideas and I have searched and searched for
someone with a similar problem, but either I am not phrasing the
search right or I can't find it!

Hope someone can shed some light on this... Thanks in advance

Blair

From: Blair on
Sorry, forgot to mention I cannot run word from the run dialog without
specifying the full path - with all other office programs I merely
type the program name eg outlook etc and they all work, but winword
can't be found...

From: Blair on
sorted it - i did the same thing again, but perhaps in a different
order. Office 2003 SP2 sorted it this time round... who'd have a
computer...