From: commodorecomputerclub on
Hi folks,

Firstly, I'd like to thank the few people who have, over the years
provided me with feedback, comments and suggestions, though you are a
very few (it seems) amongst many. It's really great when I actually
hear from real people :-)

Anyway, for the first time in a long time it seems that I've had some
spontaneous feedback (from issue 1111) on the Micro Mart forums and
elsewhere, and to be honest, some of the more recent efforts have been
a little on the poor side, whether it be content, grammar or both.
Anyway, there's obvious interest in the more 'techie' or 'geeky'
aspects of [8-bit] computing, like programming. It basically all
started out as a mix of hardware, modifications and games and other
types of software, ie, applications and utilities. I drifted towards
it being mostly about new software and less about everything else
because it seemed that the publicity fed on itself and because I was
previewing and reviewing new games, more started appearing. Even some
other magazines took note of new 8-bit software.

Anyway, things definitely need freshening up, and I'm open to any
suggestions. One is to cover the 'demo' scene, perhaps have a 'demo of
the week' bit at the end of my column in each issue? Another is to
focus on computing rather than gaming, with games being the exception
rather than the rule. Perhaps I could provide information on where to
buy parts for restoration of machines? Or any tips I've picked up over
the years?

One thing I want to avoid is the 'what's this worth' angle because
that's more than well-served elsewhere, and to be honest I'm not very
good at writing price guides anyway. If anyone wants to know, search
on eBay and take an average of what you have with comparable items.

Over to you - any feedback, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks,

Shaun.

PS, If there's any 'niche' formats that I've missed over the years
(Jupiter Ace, Grundy NewBrain, Texas etc...), now is the time to tell
me rather than complaining and doing nothing about it. Just to note
though that the retro column is not all about nostalgia; there has to
be a community and something happening in it (hardware or software).
From: RobertB on
On Jun 21, 2:28 pm, Shaun B. wrote:

> Firstly, I'd like to thank the few people who have, over the years
> provided me with feedback, comments and suggestions, though you are a
> very few (it seems) amongst many. It's really great when I actually
> hear from real people :-)

Shaun, since I'm not in the U.K., have you
ever thought of putting togetter a compilation of
all your Micro Mart articles? I'd love to read all
of them.
BTW, I will be in England and Scotland,
arriving July 8 and departing on July 15. However,
there won't be time for me to come to your area. :(
I'll ring your mobile when I get over there.

> One is to cover the 'demo' scene, perhaps have a 'demo of
> the week' bit at the end of my column in each issue?

Yes.

> Another is to
> focus on computing rather than gaming, with games being the exception
> rather than the rule.

Yes.

> Perhaps I could provide information on where to
> buy parts for restoration of machines?

Yes.

> Or any tips I've picked up over the years?

Yes.

> Over to you - any feedback, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

How about interviews with engineers,
programmers, and others in the industry?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 24-25 Commodore Vegas Expo 2010 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
From: commodorecomputerclub on
Hi Robert,

> > Firstly, I'd like to thank the few people who have, over the years
> > provided me with feedback, comments and suggestions, though you are a
> > very few (it seems) amongst many. It's really great when I actually
> > hear from real people :-)
>
>      Shaun, since I'm not in the U.K., have you
> ever thought of putting togetter a compilation of
> all your Micro Mart articles?  I'd love to read all
> of them.
>      BTW, I will be in England and Scotland,
> arriving July 8 and departing on July 15.  However,
> there won't be time for me to come to your area.  :(
> I'll ring your mobile when I get over there.

Unfortunately, no can do. I've had so many PC upgrades, plus being
homeless for a while, means that I haven't kept track of my old
columns. Anything I do recover usually will end up on the Internet,
unfortunately I probably won't have the images that accompanied the
articles, just the text.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Many thanks,

Shaun.
From: OwenBot on
Hi Shaun,

[hardware reviews]

> Okay, the only problem is cost. I get paid £30 per issue, and a DivIDE
> is £72 from RWAP.

I wouldn't expect you to buy the stuff. If RWAP or anyone else wants
you to review some hardware they should loan you one for review
purposes.

[VCF]

Sorry I missed you. Glad your daughter enjoyed it. I left my wife at
home.

> I've got a programming feature running at the moment, though I'm
> concentrating on Z80 assembly. It's running in installments, three or
> four weeks of programming and then two or three weeks of 'other'.

Would like to have seen that from the start.

> I plan to cover the 6502 and then thought about the 68000, perhaps the
> Atari 8-bit and ST in that order. I'd have to be sure that there would
> be interest in 68000 though. 6502 is definitely planned.

68000 is quite close to 6502 in many ways. However, 6809 is a much
better CPU to learn on than the 6502. On the other hand the TMS9900 is
a more interesting CPU in many ways, not least because the instruction
set wasn't available at the time it was on sale.

[other machines]

> I try to focus on Sinclair and Commodore as I can be sure that,
> for people in the UK, there was a decent user-base back in the 1980s.
> Remember, I write for a PC magazine and not some 'scene' fanzine or
> disk/tape-zine.

Judging by the VCF I'd say the Acorn and Amstrad machines are still
well supported as well. Even the Dragon and the Oric still have a
following. You won't go far wrong with covering the ST but doesn't
MicroMart still have an Amiga column?

[visiting demo scenes]

> Again, with family commitments and money being tight, I can't
> guarantee I can turn up at these events.

Agreed, if you're not getting paid expenses then you can't be expected
to cover them. And they all take place outside the UK.

Cheers!

-Andrew

P.S.

>Anything I do recover usually will end up on the Internet,
>unfortunately I probably won't have the images that accompanied the
>articles, just the text.

Any sign of those games reviews I asked about? :)
From: commodorecomputerclub on
> I wouldn't expect you to buy the stuff. If RWAP or anyone else wants
> you to review some hardware they should loan you one for review
> purposes.

Yes, if that could happen, it would be good. Hardware producers should
have Micro Mart's address if they mark any packages for my attention
then I'll recieve them.

> > I've got a programming feature running at the moment, though I'm
> > concentrating on Z80 assembly. It's running in installments, three or
> > four weeks of programming and then two or three weeks of 'other'.
>
> Would like to have seen that from the start.

Issue 1111 should still be available from the News Agents until 23rd
June, which has part one (basic introduction to what the Spectrum can
do).

> > I plan to cover the 6502 and then thought about the 68000, perhaps the
> > Atari 8-bit and ST in that order. I'd have to be sure that there would
> > be interest in 68000 though. 6502 is definitely planned.
>
> 68000 is quite close to 6502 in many ways. However, 6809 is a much
> better CPU to learn on than the 6502. On the other hand the TMS9900 is
> a more interesting CPU in many ways, not least because the instruction
> set wasn't available at the time it was on sale.

Yes, that's good, but I'm looking at the numbers. Most 8-bits use
either 6502 or Z80, don't they? Or at least the popular ones anyway.

> [other machines]
>
> > I try to focus on Sinclair and Commodore as I can be sure that,
> > for people in the UK, there was a decent user-base back in the 1980s.
> > Remember, I write for a PC magazine and not some 'scene' fanzine or
> > disk/tape-zine.
>
> Judging by the VCF I'd say the Acorn and Amstrad machines are still
> well supported as well. Even the Dragon and the Oric still have a
> following. You won't go far wrong with covering the ST but doesn't
> MicroMart still have an Amiga column?

Yes, I know about Retro Software (BBC/Acorn) and have reported on the
one Oric release of this year. I have a Dragon 32.

> Any sign of those games reviews I asked about? :)

I dunno, which ones were they?

Regards,

Shaun.