From: tim1948 on
I discovered the solution to a problem I mentioned earlier, Webcam
access to specific applications. A developer patched the 8-STABLE
kernel for this purpose, but I am using 8-RELEASE, which doesn't work.

I was able to carry out this upgrade, but since I didn't have the
slightest idea as to how to use mergemaster, the performance was not
acceptable. There are hundreds of files to compare, and it would be
nice if someone has written a tutorial describing a systematic way to
do this.

Fortunately, I made an image backup of the system after "make
buildworld" and before the kernel build. You can leave it that way as
long as you like. (That's the way it is now, after I restored it.)