From: tim1948 on
Although I have not seen anyone recommend it, the U switch used with
mergemaster is supposed to replace all config files that have not been
hand-tweaked with the new version automatically. The saving in effort
could be considerable. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this would
recommend it? It's probably a good idea to make a record of the files
one has altered, but Mergemaster doesn't work with the mouse. If you
know you haven't seen a 3000-line file before, you still have to
scroll to the end to enter "i".
From: Doug Hardie on
In article
<423a8fc3-f561-453d-96dd-25b89fa01b4c(a)i37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Although I have not seen anyone recommend it, the U switch used with
> mergemaster is supposed to replace all config files that have not been
> hand-tweaked with the new version automatically. The saving in effort
> could be considerable. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this would
> recommend it?

It has seemed to work for me

> It's probably a good idea to make a record of the files
> one has altered, but Mergemaster doesn't work with the mouse. If you
> know you haven't seen a 3000-line file before, you still have to
> scroll to the end to enter "i".

Enter a "q" to jump to the end.
From: Warren Block on
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Although I have not seen anyone recommend it, the U switch used with
> mergemaster is supposed to replace all config files that have not been
> hand-tweaked with the new version automatically. The saving in effort
> could be considerable. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this would
> recommend it?

Sure. I routinely use 'mergemaster -FUi'. I call it "phooey mode".

> It's probably a good idea to make a record of the files one has
> altered, but Mergemaster doesn't work with the mouse. If you know you
> haven't seen a 3000-line file before, you still have to scroll to the
> end to enter "i".

Like Doug mentioned, the q option lets you quit out of the compare.

From: Dominic Fandrey on
On 17/04/2010 07:38, Warren Block wrote:
> tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Although I have not seen anyone recommend it, the U switch used with
>> mergemaster is supposed to replace all config files that have not been
>> hand-tweaked with the new version automatically. The saving in effort
>> could be considerable. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this would
>> recommend it?
>
> Sure. I routinely use 'mergemaster -FUi'. I call it "phooey mode".

The F and the U are redundant (i.e. F is a subcase of U).
'mergemaster -Ui' does exactly the same.

And yes, I second that running 'mergemaster -Ui' is a reliable time
saver, especially in a major upgrade.

Regards

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:36:19 +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> The F and the U are redundant (i.e. F is a subcase of U). 'mergemaster
> -Ui' does exactly the same.
>
> And yes, I second that running 'mergemaster -Ui' is a reliable time
> saver, especially in a major upgrade.

Hmmm.I use F but hadn't noticed U (and just completed a lengthy
mergemaster on another machine just 10 minutes ago!)

Thanks.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org