From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
On 04/17/2010 09:36, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> And yes, I second that running 'mergemaster -Ui' is a reliable time
> saver, especially in a major upgrade.

I use 'mergemaster -iUP' these days.
Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a tar backup of /etc in addition.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Warren Block on
Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze(a)bsdforen.de> wrote:
> On 17/04/2010 07:38, Warren Block wrote:
>> tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Although I have not seen anyone recommend it, the U switch used with
>>> mergemaster is supposed to replace all config files that have not been
>>> hand-tweaked with the new version automatically. The saving in effort
>>> could be considerable. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this would
>>> recommend it?
>>
>> Sure. I routinely use 'mergemaster -FUi'. I call it "phooey mode".
>
> The F and the U are redundant (i.e. F is a subcase of U).
> 'mergemaster -Ui' does exactly the same.

Not if the CVS ID is the only difference in a file (mailing list
references below describe why that happens and the addition of -F).

I just tried this by manually changing the CVS ID on /etc/rc.d/ipsec.

-Ui stops on that file and shows the standard "what to do" options.

-FUi shows "*** Updated revision control Id for /etc/rc.d/ipsec" and
goes on.

Having DIFF_OPTIONS='-I[$]FreeBSD:.*[$]' in /etc/mergemaster.rc should
do the same thing as -F.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=365240+0+archive/2009/freebsd-stable/20090315.freebsd-stable
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=451804+0+archive/2009/freebsd-stable/20090315.freebsd-stable

From: Dominic Fandrey on
On 17/04/2010 15:54, Warren Block wrote:
> Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze(a)bsdforen.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure. I routinely use 'mergemaster -FUi'. I call it "phooey mode".
>>
>> The F and the U are redundant (i.e. F is a subcase of U).
>> 'mergemaster -Ui' does exactly the same.
>
> Not if the CVS ID is the only difference in a file (mailing list
> references below describe why that happens and the addition of -F).
>
> I just tried this by manually changing the CVS ID on /etc/rc.d/ipsec.
>
> -Ui stops on that file and shows the standard "what to do" options.

Of course it does, you wrote yourself that you changed it manually.

You need a different CVS ID, that was installed like that, unchanged
by you, like happens with every release and -U has always dealt with
them just fine for me.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: tim1948 on
On Apr 17, 6:54 am, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> Dominic Fandrey <kamik...(a)bsdforen.de> wrote:
>
> >> Sure.  I routinely use 'mergemaster -FUi'.  I call it "phooey mode".
>
> > The F and the U are redundant (i.e. F is a subcase of U).
> > 'mergemaster -Ui' does exactly the same.
>
> Not if the CVS ID is the only difference in a file (mailing list
> references below describe why that happens and the addition of -F).
>
> I just tried this by manually changing the CVS ID on /etc/rc.d/ipsec.
>
> -Ui stops on that file and shows the standard "what to do" options.
>
> -FUi shows "*** Updated revision control Id for /etc/rc.d/ipsec" and
> goes on.
>
> Having DIFF_OPTIONS='-I[$]FreeBSD:.*[$]' in /etc/mergemaster.rc should
> do the same thing as -F.
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=365240+0+archive/2009/fr....http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=451804+0+archive/2009/fr...
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Concerning mergemaster.rc (and probably other config files as well) I
note that the listing in the handbook shows:

SOURCEDIR=' /usr/src'

but

#PRESERVE_FILES_DIR=/var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-`date +%y%m%d-
%H%M%S`.

Would it also be correct to represent the first line as SOURCEDIR=/usr/
src ? If not, what determines whether the single quotes are needed?
From: Warren Block on
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Concerning mergemaster.rc (and probably other config files as well) I
> note that the listing in the handbook shows:
>
> SOURCEDIR=' /usr/src'
>
> but
>
> #PRESERVE_FILES_DIR=/var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-`date +%y%m%d-
> %H%M%S`.
>
> Would it also be correct to represent the first line as SOURCEDIR=/usr/
> src ?

In sh, values inside single quotes are literal values. It's useful when
the value has punctuation the shell might ignore or try to expand.

In the second case, note the backticks. The string inside the backticks
is executed and then the assignment made to the variable, giving a
directory name like preserved-files-2010-04-18-214800 .

Putting single quotes around the whole thing would prevent the backticks
from being executed, and the dir name would be a literal
preserved-files-`date +%y%m%d-%H%M%S` .

> If not, what determines whether the single quotes are needed?

Generally, to prevent sh expanding values that should be taken
literally.