From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
I would like to keep a backup copy of one of my IMAP mail accounts.
And it must be as easy to use as the online one. :-)
It was suggested that I set up a local imap server on my machine, and
then use imapsync[1] to "backup" the online imap account to an account
on my local imap server.

This way I can use my normal mail program to access the backup account.

I see that the ports tree contains quite a few imap servers.
I need one that is simple to set up, and doesn't interfere to much with
the machine I'm installing it on.

Which one should I choose?

From: Michael Ross on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:14:34 +0200
Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingo(a)start.no> wrote:

> I would like to keep a backup copy of one of my IMAP mail accounts.
> And it must be as easy to use as the online one. :-)
> It was suggested that I set up a local imap server on my machine, and
> then use imapsync[1] to "backup" the online imap account to an account
> on my local imap server.
>
> This way I can use my normal mail program to access the backup account.
>
> I see that the ports tree contains quite a few imap servers.
> I need one that is simple to set up, and doesn't interfere to much with
> the machine I'm installing it on.

I use the dovecot port for backing up with imapsync.
Simple to set up: One config file, IIRC I just had to change the mail
store location to point to /home/%u/mail.
No other interference with system noticed.
No mass-of-ports installed alongside as I recall being the case with
other servers.

Michael
From: John Levine on
>I see that the ports tree contains quite a few imap servers.
>I need one that is simple to set up, and doesn't interfere to much with
>the machine I'm installing it on.

I second the recommendation of dovecot. I have used Courier-imap for
a long time, and am switching over.

R's,
John
From: Giorgos Keramidas on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:16:10 +0200, Michael Ross <michael.ross(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:14:34 +0200
> Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingo(a)start.no> wrote:
>> I would like to keep a backup copy of one of my IMAP mail accounts.
>> And it must be as easy to use as the online one. :-) It was suggested
>> that I set up a local imap server on my machine, and then use
>> imapsync[1] to "backup" the online imap account to an account on my
>> local imap server.
>
> I use the dovecot port for backing up with imapsync.
>
> Simple to set up: One config file, IIRC I just had to change the mail
> store location to point to /home/%u/mail.
>
> No other interference with system noticed.
>
> No mass-of-ports installed alongside as I recall being the case with
> other servers.

dovecot is wonderful. I have been using it for a while to 'archive' the
messages that I want to keep through a bunch of email clients (e.g. Gnus
running inside Emacs, mutt from command-line sessions, etc).

From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
On 04/21/2010 22:17, John Levine wrote:
> I find Maildir to work well, and it has the advantage of not needing
> extra locks in the common situation that there are multiple IMAP
> sessions open.

I just tested the Dovecot port, which defaults to use mbox, on a low-end
machine I have.
FWIW, this setup also works very well for my use. Nice.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
 |  Next  |  Last