From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
On 04/18/2010 12:42, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:16:10 +0200, Michael Ross<michael.ross(a)gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:14:34 +0200
>> Torfinn Ingolfsen<tingo(a)start.no> wrote:
>>> I would like to keep a backup copy of one of my IMAP mail accounts.
>>> And it must be as easy to use as the online one. :-) It was suggested
>>> that I set up a local imap server on my machine, and then use
>>> imapsync[1] to "backup" the online imap account to an account on my
>>> local imap server.
>>
>> I use the dovecot port for backing up with imapsync.
>>
>> Simple to set up: One config file, IIRC I just had to change the mail
>> store location to point to /home/%u/mail.
>>
>> No other interference with system noticed.
>>
>> No mass-of-ports installed alongside as I recall being the case with
>> other servers.
>
> dovecot is wonderful. I have been using it for a while to 'archive' the
> messages that I want to keep through a bunch of email clients (e.g. Gnus
> running inside Emacs, mutt from command-line sessions, etc).

Everybody - thanks for the recommendation. It seems that Dovecot is what
I want.
Question: does it matter which mailbox format I choose? Any recommendation?

--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Steven on
On Apr 17, 3:30 pm, John Levine <jo...(a)iecc.com> wrote:
> >I see that the ports tree contains quite a few imap servers.
> >I need one that is simple to set up, and doesn't interfere to much with
> >the machine I'm installing it on.
>
> I second the recommendation of dovecot.  I have used Courier-imap for
> a long time, and am switching over.
>
> R's,
> John

I have used Cyrus and it worked well, but I wasn't really comfortable
with it. It's been a while since, but I think it was just a
combination of the commands and the config files.

What do you like/dislike about Courier? And what prompted you to
switch to Dovecot?
From: Andrew Reilly on
On Sun, 02 May 2010 14:23:01 -0700, Steven wrote:

> What do you like/dislike about Courier? And what prompted you to switch
> to Dovecot?

I switched to dovecot over the weekend because courier-authdaemon stopped
working (complaining about cross-device linking while creating the
listening socket, it seems). Something happened in -current in the last
week, perhaps.

Anyway, I've been happy with courier for years, but didn't have time to
debug the issue, and dovecot installed cleanly and is going fine as a
replacement. Very impressive.

Cheers,

--
Andrew
From: John Levine on
>What do you like/dislike about Courier? And what prompted you to
>switch to Dovecot?

Courier is quite a hog when IMAP users have large mail collections. Dovecot
is supposed to be much faster, although I haven't yet benchmarked them
against each other.

My wife typically has 1500 to 2000 messages in her inbox, and it would
not be a good plan for me to try to force her to have less. I have
another user who, as far as I can tell, never deletes anything and has
12,000 messages in his inbox.

R's,
John

First  |  Prev  |