From: Cookshack on
On my home PC, I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium as my O.S. and Microsoft
Office Enterprise 2007, and both are completed updated.

When I load Outlook, the main PST file is loaded, of course, but,
additionally, I have a storage PST file (i.e. Outlook Data File) where I
store all my e-mails so that my Inbox and Sent folders don't become too
large, and also so that my main PST file does not become to large.

The problem I'm having with Outlook is that when I “close” the storage PST
file, I get the following error message “The messaging interface has returned
an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook.” If I
restart Outlook, it will automatically load the storage PST file. If I
remove the storage PST file from the hard drive folder where it is stored,
and then restart Outlook, it will ask for the storage PST file. I
“compacted” both files, and have also used the Inbox Repair Tool on both
files, but it doesn't help.

To make matters worse, I have other PST files I would also like to load into
Outlook, but it won't allow me to. Further, Outlook will not allow me to
create any new PST files (i.e. Outlook Data Files).

On my office PC, I have 12 to 13 PST files loaded at one time (with no
problems), so it's not unusual to have several open at one time.

I've been having this problem for several months, and I'm beginning to think
that the only solution is to completely uninstall Outlook, and perhaps the
entire Office suite, and then reinstall it.

From: Cookshack on
BTW, I've also used Office Diagnostics several times, & it always tells me
there are no problems.