From: Eddie on
To all repiers, Thanks.

The comp' in question is an AMD2.4g with 1gig Ram and an average to good
video card,, it also has a CRT monitor. Sounds like I might be
wasting quite a few bucks.
The monies that you guys were quoting, was that in US $$'s? were any in
AU $$'s? (would give me a rough idea how much I been paying.)

Ed
From: No Mo on
And, since you changed the subject line and didn't quote any of your

"Eddie" <albert(a)greenacres.far> wrote in message
: To all repiers, Thanks.
:

From: John John - MVP on
A kilowatt-hour is a kilowatt-hour regardless of where you are in the
world. Just look at your power bill and you will see your cost per kWh,
add applicable taxes, if any, just do the math.

1 kWh = using 1000 watts for 1 hour.
Using 10 100 watt light bulbs for 1 hour = 1 kWh.

Computer usage 24 hours/day, monthly cost:

Assuming 300 watt power draw:

(300 watts x 24 hours x 30 days)/1000 = 216 kWh

Where I live residential power is about 10 cents/kWh + 15% tax which
equals about 11.5 cents per kWh. Running the above 300w computer would
cost me about $24.84/month, if I turn it off 12 hours/day I would save
about $12.42/month... or $149.04/year.

Of course, if you use your power saving options to turn off the monitor
or other components in your computer your usage won't continuously be
300 watts/hr. Also keep in mind that many utilities have staggered
power rates, the first x kWh might cost more than the next x kWh.

John

From: Eddie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> A kilowatt-hour is a kilowatt-hour regardless of where you are in the
> world. Just look at your power bill and you will see your cost per kWh,
> add applicable taxes, if any, just do the math.
>
> 1 kWh = using 1000 watts for 1 hour.
> Using 10 100 watt light bulbs for 1 hour = 1 kWh.
>

> Computer usage 24 hours/day, monthly cost:
>
> Assuming 300 watt power draw:
>
> (300 watts x 24 hours x 30 days)/1000 = 216 kWh
>
> Where I live residential power is about 10 cents/kWh + 15% tax which
> equals about 11.5 cents per kWh. Running the above 300w computer would
> cost me about $24.84/month, if I turn it off 12 hours/day I would save
> about $12.42/month... or $149.04/year.
>
> Of course, if you use your power saving options to turn off the monitor
> or other components in your computer your usage won't continuously be
> 300 watts/hr. Also keep in mind that many utilities have staggered
> power rates, the first x kWh might cost more than the next x kWh.
>
> John
>
> Eddie wrote:
>> To all repiers, Thanks.
>>
>> The comp' in question is an AMD2.4g with 1gig Ram and an average to
>> good video card,, it also has a CRT monitor. Sounds like I might be
>> wasting quite a few bucks.
>> The monies that you guys were quoting, was that in US $$'s? were any
>> in AU $$'s? (would give me a rough idea how much I been paying.)
>>
>> Ed

Thanks john,, I'll check my next bill using your info as a guide.

Ed

ps:: to No Mo,, sorry about changing subject line.
From: Bill in Co. on
Also, if you're reading the computer power supply specs to get that figure
of 300W, that only means it is capable of supplying that amount of power
under full rated load. And I believe a computer normally draws much less
power than that.

John John - MVP wrote:
> A kilowatt-hour is a kilowatt-hour regardless of where you are in the
> world. Just look at your power bill and you will see your cost per kWh,
> add applicable taxes, if any, just do the math.
>
> 1 kWh = using 1000 watts for 1 hour.
> Using 10 100 watt light bulbs for 1 hour = 1 kWh.
>

> Computer usage 24 hours/day, monthly cost:
>
> Assuming 300 watt power draw:
>
> (300 watts x 24 hours x 30 days)/1000 = 216 kWh
>
> Where I live residential power is about 10 cents/kWh + 15% tax which
> equals about 11.5 cents per kWh. Running the above 300w computer would
> cost me about $24.84/month, if I turn it off 12 hours/day I would save
> about $12.42/month... or $149.04/year.
>
> Of course, if you use your power saving options to turn off the monitor
> or other components in your computer your usage won't continuously be
> 300 watts/hr. Also keep in mind that many utilities have staggered
> power rates, the first x kWh might cost more than the next x kWh.
>
> John
>
> Eddie wrote:
>> To all repiers, Thanks.
>>
>> The comp' in question is an AMD2.4g with 1gig Ram and an average to good
>> video card,, it also has a CRT monitor. Sounds like I might be
>> wasting quite a few bucks.
>> The monies that you guys were quoting, was that in US $$'s? were any in
>> AU $$'s? (would give me a rough idea how much I been paying.)
>>
>> Ed

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Problems with video ¡¡¡