From: John Doe on
VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
>> PeoplesChoice Chicago.net wrote:

>>> Just got your message. Don't understand what you mean by
>>> 'don't use Forte Agent.'
>>
>> It is a very popular newsreader. I have it. The group for Agent
>> is not (news.software.readers), that is for Xnews and others
>> less popular than Agent. The big Agent group is
>> (alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent). But the idea is a good
>> one, you should always refer to the appropriate group when
>> asking about your newsreader, they know all about it. They can
>> explain what you should do in Agent to re-download the thread.
>> I probably would just delete the group, resubscribe to the
>> group, and then get the headers again.
>
> They discuss Xnews as well as 40tude Dialog, Xananews, MesNews,
> SuperGravity, or WHATEVER newsreader. It is not for a specific
> newsreader.

That is what "for Xnews and others" means.

> That's NOT the title of that newsgroup.

IT IS IN FACT THE TITLE OF THAT NEWSGROUP.

You could have tried looking...

> However, assuming it is active,

It is very active.

> a newsgroup specifically for your particular newsreader would
> probably yield better results.
>
> Considering Forte Inc is a commercial busines that relies on
> sales of its payware version of Forte Agent, it seems awfully
> chinzy that they don't provide their own support forum.

The only reason I might need a web-based forum is if there is no
UseNet forum. And having a USENET FORUM for a USENET NEWSREADER
makes perfect sense. And there is a specific forum for Forte
Agent (alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent).

From: VanguardLH on
John Doe wrote:

> VanguardLH <V nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> It is a very popular newsreader. I have it. The group for Agent
>>> is not (news.software.readers), that is for Xnews and others
>>> less popular than Agent. The big Agent group is
>>> (alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent). But the idea is a good
>>> one, you should always refer to the appropriate group when
>>> asking about your newsreader, they know all about it. They can
>>> explain what you should do in Agent to re-download the thread.
>>> I probably would just delete the group, resubscribe to the
>>> group, and then get the headers again.
>>
>> They discuss Xnews as well as 40tude Dialog, Xananews, MesNews,
>> SuperGravity, or WHATEVER newsreader. It is not for a specific
>> newsreader.
>
> That is what "for Xnews and others" means.
>
>> That's NOT the title of that newsgroup.
>
> IT IS IN FACT THE TITLE OF THAT NEWSGROUP.
> You could have tried looking...

Where in the newsgroup title of news.software.readers do you see the
string "xnews"? Or "less popular than Forte Agent"? There are more
posts (by number and by bytes) made by sucky Outlook Express than by
Forte. Go look at some stats at http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet.asp.
Forte happens to be one of those "less popular" newsreaders that you
berate. Based on your logic, microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general is
to discuss OE and news.software.readers discusses newsreaders that are
"less popular than Outlook Express" - and that would include your Forte
Agent. However, you can discuss the good/bad of Outlook Express or ask
for help on OE in news.software.readers, too.

Perhaps dyslexia makes you think "news.*" is "xnews.*". Guess that
means all those news.admin.* groups are all about Xnews instead of
administering an NNTP (news) server. Or NANAE is only about spammers
posting with Xnews despite the group is about e-mail.
news.groups.proposals and news.announce.newsgroups group must be to
discuss creating newsgroups that are accessible only by Xnews, uh huh.
You don't have a clue what the news.* hierarchy is about.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/hierarchy-list/
(would be nice if they could tabulate properly)
"news: Usenet news"

That isn't just 1-way posts announcing some "news" blurb about Usenet.
Some are exhibit-only groups (you post there but discuss elsewhere).
Some actually are announcement-only groups. And some are discussion
groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_hierarchy#Hierarchies
"news.* — Discussion of Usenet itself"

Please show me the charter, if it has one, for news.software.readers
that mandates only "Xnews and others less popular than Agent" are
allowed there.

If it makes you happy to think the news.software.readers group is for
nothing but non-Forte newsreaders then go right ahead to continue
believing that. The rest of us choose not to wear blinders. If you
want to only visit your alt newsgroup to get help with Forte stuff then
go right ahead. No one else is similarly constrained to do so.

>> Considering Forte Inc is a commercial busines that relies on
>> sales of its payware version of Forte Agent, it seems awfully
>> chinzy that they don't provide their own support forum.
>
> The only reason I might need a web-based forum is if there is no
> UseNet forum. And having a USENET FORUM for a USENET NEWSREADER
> makes perfect sense. And there is a specific forum for Forte
> Agent (alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent).

I didn't address your particular preferences. I was addressing the
behavior of *Forte Inc* in not providing a peer community for support.
They also do not run their own NNTP server (private or peered). I
didn't even see them providing a link to the forte group in Usenet for
peer support. Well, since you're stuck having to buy their software
since they no longer have a free version (that is current) then I
suppose you've paid for support and they expect you to use that even for
simple stuff, like how to add servers or configure the program.
From: VanguardLH on
John Doe wrote:

> Forte Agent is a good newsreader with a big following.

Does Forte still provide a FREE version of their Agent program? Or is
it just trialware and payware now? Are you stuck (as with several
newsreaders, including mine) in having to use an old and unsupported
version to get a free version? As I said, "I won't waste money on a
newsreader. Too many free ones to choose from."

In the [old] Forte "Free Agent", does it now support multiple NNTP
servers within one config? Or do I still have to use multiple config
files, one for each NNTP server, and have to specify the config file on
concurrent access to N servers.

Does the latest Forte Free Agent version let you use regex in filters?
Will those filters run automatically when it polls the NNTP server(s)?
Or am I still stuck with saving searches and then remembering to
manually run them?

I think Feb 2007 was when I last trialed Forte Free Agent. Has there
been a update to the *free* version since then? The latest payware
version is 6 for Forte Agent. What is the last available version for
their free (crippled) and non-trialware version? Wasn't it 3.3 dated
back around June 2007, or was that a "free to try with no limitations"
version that really wasn't freeware(i.e., it was shareware that you were
expected to eventually buy)?

I went back to the OP's headers and noticed he is using version 5.0 of
Forte Agent which is a payware version. So this discussion about the
Free Agent version doesn't apply to him. But I was curious is Free
Agent (not available from Forte for a long time) got any better or
changed at all after my trial of it.
From: John Doe on
I simply pointed out that there is a specific group for Forte
Agent that handles most of its questions. I told the original
poster that your idea of seeking help in a specific group is a
good one. Get a grip, dude.

From: John Doe on
Again, the experts are in
(alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent)
That is the group you should go to for help with Forte Agent.