From: David Murray on
As noted last year around this time... I'm an I.S. Administrator and I
also love practical jokes. So when April 1st comes around, I love to
do something unusual. Last year I took my old Apple IIe setup with a
green-screen monitor and put it on somebody's desk in place of their
usual Dell. I left a note saying I had upgraded their computer. It
was quite amusing, to say the least.

Since half the company was either in on this joke, or saw pictures of
it circulated around in email, this year I have to do the joke in a
different department or at least on an employee that was not with the
company at this time last year. I've narrowed my list of choices down
to a handful.

But - Now I'm sort of thinking instead of the Apple IIe, using a
Commodore setup. The trouble is I like the system to look authentic
and my Apple has a matching Apple monitor. But the only Commodore
monitor I have is a 1084, and it is white (or beige, perhaps) so the
only system I have that matches it is the Commodore 64c or Amiga
500. But neither of these computers look quite as old as the Apple
IIe. I do have a breadbox 64, and a VIC-20 (which is faded in color)
but again, the breadbox doesn't match the monitor and the VIC-20
wasn't as well known as the C64.

The absolute funniest piece of equipment to use would be a Commodore
PET, but I do not have one.

So.. I guess given the choice of using an Apple IIe or a Commodore
64c setup, which would be the funniest?
From: James on
On Mar 24, 8:24 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> So..  I guess given the choice of using an Apple IIe or a Commodore
> 64c setup, which would be the funniest?

I say mix it all up, so that there's no possible way it would work,
even if the subject had an inkling of classic computers. Incompatible
cords, handset modem that doesn't fit the phone handset, the works. :D

From: Michael on
On Mar 24, 9:24 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> So..  I guess given the choice of using an Apple IIe or a Commodore
> 64c setup, which would be the funniest?

I would say the 64c. Mainly because the Apple IIe you could tell was
old. However, the 64c they might ponder a bit.

From: David Murray on

> I would say the 64c. Mainly because the Apple IIe you could tell was
> old. However, the 64c they might ponder a bit.

You know.. Oddly enough, there were people last year that said, "I
don't get the joke" when they saw it. Because they just thought the
Apple IIe was just another computer. I would think the monitor alone
would be a dead giveaway (all of our screens are LCD now) and the
integrated keyboard... Oh well..
From: schmidtd on
On Mar 24, 3:02 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I would say the 64c. Mainly because the Apple IIe you could tell was
> > old. However, the 64c they might ponder a bit.
>
> You know.. Oddly enough, there were people last year that said, "I
> don't get the joke" when they saw it.  Because they just thought  the
> Apple IIe was just another computer.  I would think the monitor alone
> would be a dead giveaway (all of our screens are LCD now) and the
> integrated keyboard... Oh well..

A Timex Sinclair 1000/zx81 would send a pretty clear message...