From: Matt Stawicki on
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:37:44 -0600, F. George McDuffee
<gmcduffee(a)mcduffee-associates.us> wrote:

>On 12 Jan 2007 13:39:28 -0800, "guynoir" <blpzx(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I need to roll some threads in a blind hole in 6AL-4V titanium. They
>>are about 5/8" holes, about 5/8 deep. Anyone have some guidance on how
>>to do this?
>>
>>Thanks,
>==================
>see
>http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/476363/1292
>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KJI/is_8_113/ai_81138590
>http://www.emuge.com/taps/gfu_druck.html
>http://www.emuge.com/technical/tapfinder/drucksticn.html
>http://www.emuge.com/technical/tapfinder/druckpmticn.html
>and many more.
>
>Because of the high force/friction involved in internal thread
>forming in titanium, your choice of tap lubricant may be
>critical. Some of the best friction reducers such as
>MolyDisulfide may also contaminate the metal.
>
>Has anyone tried a lube containing teflon?
>
>Good luck and let the group know how you make out.
>

>Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Good point. Probably have a bit of trouble if you try to use toilet
water :-). I use CutMax 570 cutting OIL, which has a rather high
sulfur and chlorine content. The largest roll tap I've ever had the
chance to run in TI, was a 3/8-16. It was a while back, but IIRC, I
ran the entire 350 pc. order with one tap.

Matt
From: brewertr on
On 12 Jan 2007 14:29:53 -0800, "G. De Angelis"
<deangelistool(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Thread rolling is normally used in the making of external threads, as
>on a shaft, for example. It is a lower quality thread than a cut
>thread.

Boy, someone gave you some misinformation.

Thread Rolling is Superior in many respects:

Depending upon material but here are some highlights and advantages
for thread rolling.

Thread rolling is widely accepted as the fastest and preferred method
of economically producing uniform smooth, precise threads of superior
physical qualities.

In penetrating the surface of the blank, the rolls displace material
to form the thread roots, and force the displaced material radically
outward to form the thread crests.

Strength

Cold working of metal during thread rolling improves thread form
physical characteristics and mechanical properties. When thread is
rolled, the structure is deformed and the surface is hardened.
Increased surface hardness results in thread form properties that are
superior to those of the original material.

Grain structure is maintained with rolled threads, in continuous
unbroken lines following contours, increasing tensile and shear
strength.

Improved Finish

The smooth flanks of rolled threads provide better surface contact
with mating threads. The burnished roots and flanks are free from
chatter, tearing or cutter marks that can serve as a focal point or
stress and starting point for fatigue failures.

Accuracy

Rolled threads maintain consistently closer tolerances and uniformity
than cut thread. Thread rolling is unique in its ability to maintain
accuracy of the original set up during long runs of high-speed
production. Dies do not change appreciably during the life of the
rolls. They do not wear like other types of threading tools.

>Inexpensive threaded rod that can be purchased in a hardware
>store is the best example I can think of to demonstrate rolled thread
>quality.

What you see at a hardware store is commercial grade probably a 1A
tolerance or even a looser application. As well as the rods in the
hardware store are handled none too carefully.

FYI, a lot of aerospace fittings and fasteners require rolled threads
because of increased thread sheer strength and quality.

Tom

From: brewertr on
On 12 Jan 2007 13:39:28 -0800, "guynoir" <blpzx(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to roll some threads in a blind hole in 6AL-4V titanium. They
>are about 5/8" holes, about 5/8 deep. Anyone have some guidance on how
>to do this?
>
>Thanks,

Guy,

Does the print REQUIER rolled thread? If not your going to need some
horsepower, a very good setup and very good lubricant.

When I use to roll external threads in titanium years ago we needed to
use an induction heater and roll them hot because the machines HP
could not do it cold depending upon the thread size and length.

In my opinion it is almost always easier, better and faster to cut
titanium than roll it.

Tom

From: TOP on
I have a tap sitting on my desk that rolls internal threads.

From: John P Kimmel on
TOP wrote:
> I have a tap sitting on my desk that rolls internal threads.

How about posting a photo of that? My main question(s) are: is it
adjustable and is it common practice to make more than one pass to roll
the thead?

--
John Kimmel
gNuOy_SnPoAiMr(a)sNpOiSrPeAtMech.com

GET YER STINKING PAWS OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!