From: Michael on
Just downloaded ThreatFire because a "thing"--see my requests for help
in another Thread--prevented me and still prevents me from downloading
any updates for first my Avast Free, which I then uninstalled and DL
Avira but same problem-- can't access Avira DL for updates.

Ditto for updates to Malwarebytes and Super AS Free. The "thing"
incapacitated my ability to connect with all of the aforementioned.

I then DL ThreatFire which states that any other AV does NOT have to
be uninstalled. It says ThreatFire is compatible with other already
installed AVs. TF seems so far to be able to update itself on a
regular basis.

Just on the issue of anti viruses, do I need anything other than
ThreatFire? It seems to have me current to the hour. I also have
Sygate Firewall, Spybot S & D, Spyware Blaster, a-squared Free.

For some reason Threatfire (and Spybot S & D, as well as a-squared)
are able to update me easily.

Spybot in fact gives me the option of about 10-12 different update
sources before downloading current files. But not Avast, Avira or
Super AS Free--all blocked from updates.

I hope you guys will say Threatfire has plugged the gap, but if not I
might as well read it here.

Thanks again.

Michael
From: FromTheRafters on
Yes!!

From: Max Wachtel on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:29:09 -0500, Michael <Temprock(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just downloaded ThreatFire because a "thing"--see my requests for help
> in another Thread--prevented me and still prevents me from downloading
> any updates for first my Avast Free, which I then uninstalled and DL
> Avira but same problem-- can't access Avira DL for updates.

You need to run the avast uninstall clean-up tool.

> Ditto for updates to Malwarebytes and Super AS Free. The "thing"
> incapacitated my ability to connect with all of the aforementioned.

Have you checked your hosts file?

> I then DL ThreatFire which states that any other AV does NOT have to
> be uninstalled. It says ThreatFire is compatible with other already
> installed AVs. TF seems so far to be able to update itself on a
> regular basis.
>
> Just on the issue of anti viruses, do I need anything other than
> ThreatFire? It seems to have me current to the hour. I also have
> Sygate Firewall, Spybot S & D, Spyware Blaster, a-squared Free.

You need to replace Sygate. TF is not a replacement for an AV.

> For some reason Threatfire (and Spybot S & D, as well as a-squared)
> are able to update me easily.
>
> Spybot in fact gives me the option of about 10-12 different update
> sources before downloading current files. But not Avast, Avira or
> Super AS Free--all blocked from updates.
>
> I hope you guys will say Threatfire has plugged the gap, but if not I
> might as well read it here.

You may want to consider a format/OS install from scratch. Do you still
have the disks that came with your system? How much time have you wasted
already?
--
Max Wachtel
This post was created using Opera(a)USB: http://www.opera-usb.com