From: mhlester on
Hi,

Last weekend upgraded my hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP Pro, and
loaded all my favorite software, including AOL, AIM, Microsoft Office
2000, Avast free version, and more. Wednesday, I noticed that whenever
I opened a file in Microsoft Access, a new toolbar appears named
AvxBar, along with an icon you can see here http://ptf.com/download/avx_professional/110329/.
AVX is apparently a defunct antivirus program, and no links that I can
find lead you to either the company or its software. There is a
hardware manufacturing company at www.avx.com that has nothing to do
with AVX Professional.

I did not install AVX, and I am not aware of any program I did install
that installed AVX. I hope it is not a virus or other malware, but
rather that some legitimate program installed the toolbar (and
associated files) without my knowledge (not that I like that, but it's
better than having a virus). I could not find any files with the
letters avx on my computer, including hidden files or in my computer
registry. Does anyone know anything about this? If so, please help.

Thanks,
MHLester

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "mhlester" <mhlester45(a)gmail.com>

| Hi,

| Last weekend upgraded my hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP Pro, and
| loaded all my favorite software, including AOL, AIM, Microsoft Office
| 2000, Avast free version, and more. Wednesday, I noticed that whenever
| I opened a file in Microsoft Access, a new toolbar appears named
| AvxBar, along with an icon you can see here
| http://ptf.com/download/avx_professional/110329/.
| AVX is apparently a defunct antivirus program, and no links that I can
| find lead you to either the company or its software. There is a
| hardware manufacturing company at www.avx.com that has nothing to do
| with AVX Professional.

| I did not install AVX, and I am not aware of any program I did install
| that installed AVX. I hope it is not a virus or other malware, but
| rather that some legitimate program installed the toolbar (and
| associated files) without my knowledge (not that I like that, but it's
| better than having a virus). I could not find any files with the
| letters avx on my computer, including hidden files or in my computer
| registry. Does anyone know anything about this? If so, please help.

| Thanks,
| MHLester

You installed something !

Next time when you upgrade your hard disk... Clone it !
This way you have everything you had on the old hard disk but with more free space.

--
Dave