From: Ray K on
My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
cause problems?
From: Smiles on
Ray K wrote:
> My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
> as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
> all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
> are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
> cause problems?
I scan c daily and my files on g. The rest weekly exept my backups on i
which I do monthly
From: Wolf K on
Ray K wrote:
> My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
> as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
> all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
> are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
> cause problems?

A virus can launch if the file in which it resides is accessed by a
program or the system. So the answer to your last question is, "yes,
depending."

IMO, system partition should be scanned daily, as should any partitions
that programs (or you) access frequently (eg for writing new data).
Backup partitions can be left alone _if_ you backup only after a scan
and any necessary cleaning.

And a healthy dose of paranoia won't hurt you. ;-)

wolf k.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>

| My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
| as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
| all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
| are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
| cause problems?

The MOST important areas to be scanned...

OS (ie; c:\winnt and c:\windows)
Program installations (C:\Program files\.*)
User Profiles (c:\users\* and c:\documents and settings\*)
TEMP locations
Root of all drives (not CD or DVDs)
Cache locations

The important factor is the areas can be variable.

NOTE: The OS can be on a drive other than "C:" and TEMP and CACHE locations can be placed
on other drives as well for speed optimization. Also wne can redirect their "My
Documents" folder to an alternate locatation as well.

--
Dave

From: Bad Boy Charlie on
?On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:35:15 -0500, Ray K <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net>
wrote:

>My computer consists of two physical drives. The master is partitioned
>as C, E, F, H and I, and the slave as D and G. Is it necessary to scan
>all the partitions, rather than just C? In other words, even if there
>are viruses etc. in one of the non-C partitions, can they launch and
>cause problems?

Of course. If mal ware on partition Z (as an example) is launched and is
coded to direct it's payload to C: then you're affected.

Why leave -any- portion of your system un scanned? What is the benefit
to less scanning? IMHO no part of one's C: (or assigned system drive)
should have limited scanning or any exclusions at all.

System-wide scans can be scheduled while you sleep or are away from the
PC. All it will take is one successful infection while you employ
'limited scanning' to change your security tactics and regimen forever.

I used to do as you have asked about and then many years ago I got hit
with the Spanska4250 virus. After a few heart-pounding hours I cleared
it but -now- no partition or folder goes un scanned and no file type
goes un scanned either. As I asked earlier - what is there to GAIN by
short-cutting security measures? Nada!!!