From: FromTheRafters on
Some malware does known and reversible things, no need to wipe and
reinstall.

Other malware introduces unknowns, necessitating that drastic step.

From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Would you happen to have a magic decoder ring that will tell us all
which one is which?

From: FromTheRafters on
Yes!

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com>

| Would you happen to have a magic decoder ring that will tell us all
| which one is which?

Which of the 100's of thousands ?

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on

> Yes "Which of the 100's of thousands ?" is the exact
> problem. How is the normal person supposed to know
> when you are OK doing the manual knife and scalpel
> fix versus reimage?

I'm with you there...

What people should do is have a recent good image there, so as to make a
reimaging task the easiest route as well as the one that gives the most
confidence in return.

Otherwise, it is often easier to recover than it is to restore.